1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Rescue training

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by Samsintentions, Jul 24, 2004.

1. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

Ok. I'mthinking about taking a couple of the rescues and finding homes for them that will train them to become therapy dogs. Anyone intrested or know anyone that would beintrested?

I think its a great idea. Of course I want to use this new litter I've got. I think Lil' Jamiya and Gina would be great canidates for it. Of course they can't leave me until at least 8 weeks. They still need another round of vaccinations, and two more doses of wormer before leaving. ALso another health check. Then they'll be ready to go!

Both become very docile when held like a baby, and have been really good at learning to walk on a leash! I've only tried it once, but both didn't resist one bit! I lightly tugged and they came.
    Besides, I think these guys would be great canidates due to their own life story. It hik trouble teens and adults could relate, and see that these pups made it, so why cant they!

We use some of the LSER horses for therapy, and it works wonders. I think incorporating this in the dogs would work to....anyfeedback and volunteers?

2. nern

nern New Member

Sounds like a great idea. I can't help and I don't know of anyone who could but I wanted to wish you luck. :wink:

3. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Therapy dogs, or service dogs? Therapy dogs are pretty informal. They just go visit people in hospitals and things. The training needed is pretty minimal. Service dogs are the companion dogs that need a lot of training and assist disabled people.

4. horse_child

horse_child New Member

Sounds great! My parents would kill me if i told you i culd help, but if digs work anything lke horses do, it should be a total success!!!

5. Dukesdad

Dukesdad New Member

Sam.
    Do you know whether or not we have a Cell Dog program in Texas. We certainly have an adequate supply of prisons and prisoners. In you spare time :D maybe you could develop a program like that here in Texas. :eek:

6. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

he he he...In my "Spare" time...he hehe...sooo funny.

On a serious note, I don't know. I'm going to have to look into that.

We were planning on donating a heeler pup to the HPD to the K-9 Unit for training to be a police dog. The GSD's are the traditional, but with all the genetic problems they've been overwhelmed with, they are looking into other breeds that have the stamina, and inteligence that they want. Heelers are what they are looking for! SO I was going to have a contract drawn up that stated they would use my dogs as training in a trial period. According to how good the dogs go through the K-9 Training program and out on the field, I would have a contract with them, that they would pay all cost for the pups. Of course thats out of the question now. But I thought it was a GREAT Idea. I had another breeder that was intrested in it, so I gave her all the information.

But I would like to see if Houston could start a Cell dogs program. THey already have the Houston SPCA on the Animal Planet. WHy not another Cell dogs?