1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Ripoff?

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Heather&Nicole, Jul 28, 2004.

1. Heather&Nicole

Heather&Nicole New Member

Someone wants to charge me $200 for a 55 gallon tank with stand ONLY. No hood, no lights, nothing extra. Dont you think that is a ripoff?

2. tina1

tina1 New Member

You could do better with the wal mart 55 special. It's $159 for the tank kit, with lights, heater, hood and filter. Plus fish net, dechlorinator and food. Then the stand is about $70.

So yes, IMO this person would be ripping you off.

3. Heather&Nicole

How long is that sale on for? Is that a crappy tank or is it pretty nice?

4. Heather&Nicole

we actually saw that tank setup but it was in a box in the main aisle but we didnt have the cash at the time...but we do now ;-) So should i go for that?

5. tina1

tina1 New Member

My wally world has had those "specials" for about a year now. The actual tank is good, the accessories are ok but not great. But they would be just fine to get you started; and then if you decided later that you want to upgrade the filter or the heater you could still keep the kit stuff for backups or spares.

Think of it this way you'll really be saving a considerable chunk of money going this way. So you can use that "extra" money to make sure you get the fish you want and are able to decorate the tank how you want.

I think there's also an optional canopy for about $60 that you can purchase that will give your tank a nice finished look. IMO you really just can't beat this price for a 55 unless someone's giving you one!

Just for future reference I believe a fair rate for used tanks without accessories is $1 per gallon. The price on a stand kinda depends on whether or not its in good shape, if it's real wood, and the kind of storage it actually offers.

A friend of mine just purchased a 150 gallon tank with a stand, filter, hood, heater and gravel for under $200 at a yard sale. So check the papers before you purchase, you never know what you'll find!

6. Heather&Nicole

Yeah and i can wait on the stand anyway till we put water in it. Im just getting everything ready to start the cycling before we get fish :)

Thanks!! Your right though im savin money doin it this way

7. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

congrads on getting a new fish tank

8. stefan

stefan New Member

Thats to expesive 1 got mine for 140 euro's about 150 us dollars and it's a fully equiped 110 Gallon with fish. My other aquarium was 80 gallon fully equipt. So that would be to expensive i think.