1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Rough Play?

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by Nik, Apr 24, 2004.

1. Nik

Nik New Member

ok, here's the thing...
    I do play alot with Floob, and sometimes it's like a play fighting where I'll hide my head under my arms and he's going mad to get to me, pulling on my hair and scratching, but it's always gentle and he's never biten me.

Now, I was at my brothers yesterday and they treat their dog very differently to how I am with Floob. (simple things like he has sticks and stones to 'fetch' and Floob has a ball on a rope or frisbee to 'find it'. They'll say 'fetch it' in a harsh voice whereas I'll say 'find it' in an excited voice, just stuff like that)... anyway, yesterday my brother rolled a newspaper up (bearing in mind Floob hasn't even seen a newspaper for 6 months as I don't have them, and when he did it was in sheets on the floor for him to pee on), so my brother rolled up his paper and Floob sat at his feet thinking he was getting something really good. My brother wacks Floob over the nose with it and he was absolutly terrofied. He flinched and his little eyes were batting like when you sprinkle water at them. I was mortified and told my brother to stop it then made it into a game so he didn't take offence. (he was only playing, it didn't hurt Floob physically) He was laughing at me saying I should 'play' with him like that so if anyone went to hit him he wouldn't react.. my argument was he's never been hit and never will be so he doesn't need to learn how to 'react'.
    Floob isn't scared of anything, he's never growled at anyone/thing or snapped. He plays with every dog that will tollerate him and gets the hint when they tell him enough's enough. I like it that way.

So, today I guess I'm just feeling like I'm being over protective and should perhaps expose Floob to a bit more rough n tumble... or should I stick to my guns and know he's a happy well adjusted dog and try to keep him like that?

2. 4Dogsihave

4Dogsihave New Member

I would stick to what you are doing. Dogs dont need to be played with roughly by their humans. At least not in my opinion. I always discourage rough play b/c you never know when a dog might snap. Some of the most sweetest loving dogs have snapped trying to defend themselves and send someone to the ER.

3. lil96

lil96 New Member

Don't teach your dog that!

I think a dog knows when to react(ie in danger) and if taught this could make your dog become nervous and always waiting for the worst. But i don't think your bro is bad for thinking that he just doesn'T know, so maybe when you go to his house you should teach his dog some of your dogs tricks.
    ps 3dogs i have where are you in VA I am from there too.

4. Hi Nik, You're not being overly protective at all! You're dog sounds like he's very well balanced. I too don't think that rough play is needed to insure that he would fight back if needed. You're a good mom :y_the_best: you know what's best for your furbaby :D

I also don't think your brother meant any harm, but a little education might be a good thing in that situation. When using a rolled up newspaper, that's usually done for correction, not play.

Keep with what you know is best for Floob....hugs

Susan

5. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

Oh my gosh,

I TOTALLY "ditto" what Susan just said!

6. seebr

seebr New Member

Nik, I rough played with my dogs in their younger years, much like you do. But hitting them in the nose, or any area, with a newpaper!! No way!
    I would find that whoever did it, would need to respect my wishes and my pet(s) to never do it again! Besides, I thought dogs should never to be hit, especially in the nose....
    Keep your guard up, how you feel and how your dog reacted is all that you need.

7. nern

nern New Member

IMO, doing things like that could make the dog aggressive towards you.
    Sounds to me like your doing a great job without getting rough with your dog. :y_the_best:

8. Nik

Nik New Member

Thank you all so much for your kind and reassuring words :D

People seem to be really open about speaking their mind on here so I was all prepared for a battering telling me to get a grip, it was so nice to see people thought I was doing the right thing.

Susan - I got a lump in my throat reading your reply, thank you :oops:

I had seen where newspapers were used as punishment, I have to say my brother always uses it as a play thing, but that's not to say I condone it. I was scared that say if I'm out at the park and someone rolled one or went near Floob with one that I couldn't predict his reaction now, so I'm going to get a couple of people to do it in front of him and then just put them down away from him so he dissasociates that horrible 2 minutes.
    It might be going a bit too far but better safe than sorry.

Thanks again everyone.