1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

sad news about kuma

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by kyles101, May 10, 2005.

1. kyles101

kyles101 New Member

just over an hour ago kuma got hit by a car at 70 km/h. she is currently at the vets with a dislocated shoulder, cuts and grazes and a possible fracture of her arm.

we were going to get dinner, walking out of the house as usual. i turned around to see where my partner was through the front door, turned back and kuma was gone. we went searching for her, thinking she went next door or was hiding in a shadow on our property. we kept calling her then all of a sudden we heard a bang on the otherside of the 4 lane road. kuma ran off after being hit [this was very suprising as the force was enough to kill a dog instantly or make it unable to walk] and my partner managed to catch her and bring her to the car. she has to stay at the vets overnight and tomorrow.

we cant understand why kuma ran off like that, and within such a short time too. she would of had to have ran the fastest shes ever ran to get from our front door, across our street, then 4 lanes and 2 sets of islands. we thought 'maybe it was a dog, maybe it was a cat' but she always sees animals across the main road and doesnt do anything. perhaps a cat was actually in our yard and she chased it over the road? who knows. either way she is one lucky dog and she is never being let out of my sight again.

2. halaroo

halaroo New Member

I'm really sorry to hear about Kuma, Kyles! Keep us all posted. A big hug from Moe to you!

3. loves-da-pits

loves-da-pits New Member

Kuma is a very lucky dog! Most dogs that are h.b.c. don't fare so well.
    Did the person who hit her stop? Tell Kuma to hurry and get better and that cars are for riding IN, not running in front of.

4. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

Hope everything goes well and shes home soon.

5. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Poor Kuma (and you)! I hope she gets better soon and I'm glad she will recover.

It's one of my worst nightmares to hear that car crunching sound when I know the dogs are loose (which never happens intentionally).

6. kyles101

kyles101 New Member

the guy did stop but he was a real a hole. he got out of his car and stood by it. i was thinking 'god why isnt he coming over to help?'. then he disappeared. then he finally walked over and said in a real unsympathetic tone 'oh geez mate sorry about that'. he then blew smoke in my face :x anyway he offered no help what so ever and he soon left. i figure when he disappeared he was actually checking for any damage to his car [which was a fancy new one]. we are expecting him to show up on our doorstep and ask for money if its damaged. he can go to hell if he does.

7. honeybears

honeybears New Member

Poor Kuma, she is so lucky, glad to hear she will be okay

honeybear

8. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

Sheesh! Thats soo scary.
    Glad eveyone is ok.

That was my worst fear. Finding Lacy on the road...

Give Kuma a good but gentle hug for me!

9. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

And if you had been alone and had to lift her by youself...?! What then? Jerk. Kuma's a fairly big dog, isn't she?

10. yogi

yogi New Member

old school handling of the jerk,

maybe it's me but as an ex-bouncer, that attitude would have landed him on the ground with a very apologetic attitude. Sometimes there are those out there that need a lesson in humility and respect. I don't mind teaching...

11. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Unless he was a very small, sickly man I don't think I could bounce anyone. :) Although anything is possible with the adrenaline running high after seeing your dog get hit.

My husband doesn't leash the dogs when he is leaving the dog park. Most people drive very slowly in that parking lot, but still... He KNOWS if something like that happens to one of my dogs while under his care I will never forgive him.

12. honeybears

honeybears New Member

"My husband doesn't leash the dogs when he is leaving the dog park" OMG I would kill mine for doing that

ours is on a busy road and I am at the light that changed changed to green and here comes this yorkie with a leash on running across the road :| I dont know how that happened but it only takes a second

13. coppersmom

coppersmom New Member

Here's hoping for a speedy recovery for Kuma!
    I am so sorry you all have to go through this, but it sounds like she is one lucky dog. Not to mention very tough!

14. Cheryl

Cheryl New Member

Anytime one of our dogs gets loose, I embarrass my B/F horribly by screaming the dogs name over and over like a banshee until it comes back to me...

The logical side of me "knows" this is not the way to get a dog to come to you, but I am scanning all traffic in all directions and if anything is coming, I panic.

Waaaaaayyyyyy up there on my "Do Not Do" list... Is actually "seeing" one of my dogs get flattened right in front of me... No, No, No.. We like them round thank you... So I scream in my loudest "I'm going to lock you up for the rest of your life if you dont' come back to me" tones. :shock:

15. kyles101

kyles101 New Member

yeah if my partner wasnt there it could have been a much sadder story. i actually suggested buying a wheel barrow after all of this incase she ever ended up in a situation like that again. i can pick her up for point 2 of a second, but not carry her. we got an update several hours ago from the vet and last we heard she was doing fine and was resting. we ring again in about 3 hours.

16. lil96

lil96 New Member

Oh, I am so sorry you had to experience this. i wish Kuma a speedy recovery!!
    I was dogsitting a few years back (my firend has 3 labs, so i was at her house) I had moved into my apartment maybe 2 days before, but luther was with me and the dogs at my friends, and Dale (my cat) was at my new apartment. the next day I was at work (around 7pm) and my landlord called me bc my neighbors called her for my work number. so I called my neighbors and they said they had found Dale laying in the middle of the street, but like she was asleep and they thought she had been run over. So they picked her up off the street and called a vet, alot of people had been going by and gave money to the vet (who was nice enough to actually come to the house) She had no injuries or anything, by the time I saw her she was out of it from the meds the vet had given, but otherwise nothing was wrong. I think i got really lucky with all that!
    But she got out through a window that had fallen open (slum apt. with no screens) i made sure i kept my windows locked after that.

17. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Sorry to hear about Kuma, I bet your in pieces at the moment.

I have to agree with yogi I would have smacked the driver with an attitude like that and siad oh geez man i am sorry NOT.

Hope she makes a full recovery.
    I have you all in my thoughts.

Mike

18. horse_child

horse_child New Member

I'm so sorry about what happened. I'm glad that Kuma is doing better. Hopefully you are too... Good luck with everything, and hugs tp both of you!

19. GinaH

GinaH New Member

Poor Kuma, Im so sorry Kyles I hope she has a full recovery. Best wishes Kuma will be in my thoughts and prayers.

20. kyles101

kyles101 New Member

all x rays have been done and there are no broken bones! :eek: unbelievable i tell ya. i would have shattered every bone in my body if i was hit that hard. they put her shoulder back and although there is alot of damage to the tendons and ligaments, it went back in fine and hasnt popped out again. they are waiting for her to have a pee as she hasnt had one yet after the anaesthetic. im sure she will do that in no time. they were also worried about her crouching her back legs when she walks, but there was no sign of any breaks so it must be bruising [which she would probably have all over her body :( ]. so now she has to stay in a splint for 10 days and probably wont be able to do anymore than walking for several months. she gets to come home tomorrow, to a big bunch of toys and food mind you. im also going to buy several lotto tickets this weekend. she is one lucky dog.

thanks for all your support guys. it means alot!
    :love_y_t_much: :kiss_her: