1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

sand

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by OneWolvesDream, Aug 23, 2004.

1. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

Well today i am going to be cleaning sand for my tank and i was wondering what all do i have to do again?

2. OneWolvesDream

Please tell me if im right so i can be sure before i add any fish, i put it all in a bucket, then i put the water hose in the bucket filling it to the top, then stop the hose, rake the sand with my hand then put more water in so it overflows. is this right?

3. M_wm

M_wm New Member

I Full a bucket up with sand fill it full of water then i stire it all around and then i turn the hose on (Not Very high) or else it wil lblow all ur sand away and i just let it run for like 10 minutes and it cleans it up nicely

4. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

When I clean sand, I put some in a bucket and run the hose in it. I keep shoving the end of the hose down into the sand to stir it up while letting the water overflow. Ater the water starts running clear, I stop every few minutes and remove the hose to see how long it takes the sand to settle. Once it settles in less than 5 seconds, it should be clean enough for the tank.

-Chelle

5. OneWolvesDream

Thanks all.

6. Pacuguy

Pacuguy New Member

i also have a question concerning sand.

once the sand is in the tank and the tank is estabished how to you clean it?
    i assume its not the same as cleaning gravel the vac would suck up the sand right?
    can someone please tell me how to do regular cleanings?
    also i read that pool filter sand is good to use, is this correct?

7. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

i stir it up and let the my filter pick it up

8. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

What I do is hold the vac about an inch or so above the surface of the sand and go over the whole tank like that to pick up most of the waste on the surface. I also move the decorations around and get underneath them (you'd be amazed at all the gunk that can collect under a rock). Then I go back over the sand again and push the vac into the sand, let it pull the sand about 1/2 way up the tube, then lift the vac up and let the sand fall back out. I do that every couple of inches to help mix up the sand and prevent anaerobic pockets.

-Chelle