1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Sarge Got Hit By A Car!

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by Sarge'smom, Sep 16, 2004.

1. Sarge'smom

Sarge'smom New Member

Well, I am not here for weeks and then I come back with bad news. Sarge was walking w/my husband and he was training him to walk w/out the leash, and we live on a very quiet street w/sidewalks and he saw a squirrel and bolted out into the street just as a teenager speed around the corner and hit him. We rushed him into the ER Vet and he has a broken leg (rear right) and bumped up possibly a canine concussion, but he will be alright, thank God!

My life is a soap opera right now! I swear! Any ideas on how to keep a 9 mo old Shepherd puppy from making his leg worse?

ARRRGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :?

2. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

OH god!!! I'm sooo sorry!!! Another reason I think the driving age should be raised! Speeding teens. I guess thats the thing to do, go flying down streets, not paying attention to anything!!!

The best I can say to do is stay with him, or confine him to a small space where he doesn't have much walking room.

When you go for walks or to potty, use a bathroom towel and place it under his flank. Hold with one hand and use the other to guide the leash. It will help him stand and walk with out having to put any weight on his leg.

Did they cast it??? If so, keep him from chewing on it. Maybe spray some bitter apple spray or liquid pepper on the cast.

I hope he gets better soon!!!

3. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

I'm so sorry!!! Poor Sarge! :cry:

Are you struggling with being mad at your husband? I would be! He should work on off-leash walking at the park or in the backyard. Why would Sarge EVER be walking without a leash on a residential street, no matter how quiet it usually is? I would never risk it.

Definitely read the article in Whole Dog Journal on things to do to when your dog is on activity restrictions. It's in the current issue. E-mail me (jamia_w@hotmail.com) if you don't have a subscription.

4. Sarge'smom

Sarge'smom New Member

They did cast it and that is what I was most worried about, the chewing. I will get some of the Bitter Apple spray today, that is a great idea.

On the towel thing, are talking about using it kind of like a sling? (Just so I don't screw it up!)

Oh, and someone dumped a Labradoodle puppy down the street and they brought her to me 3 days ago. So, I have been taking care of her too (you don't think Sarge did this on purpose for sympathy do you? I wouldn't put it past him!)

I think I have the Labradoodle adopted out already though to a family down the other end of my addition. They have visited with her every day with their daughter and it seems a great fit so at least that went good!

5. Samsintentions

yeah, sling....I was trying to think of the word, it just wouldn't come to me!!
    I highly doubt he did it purposefully, but I'm sure he's eating up the extra attention!!!!

Labradoodle??? Lemmi guess Lab and POodle?? Oh what a mix!!!!
    Glad you found a family for him though. Any photos??? I've never seen this mix..

6. Sarge'smom

Sarge'smom New Member

Jamiya- I would not say I "struggled" with it. I embraced it totally! I threw such a fit! The neighbors all think I am a loon now. I have told him a million times to do that only in our HUGE, PRIVACY FENCED IN YARD!!!!!
    He feels awful (as he should) he said "Gosh, it's a good thing we are already in counseling huh?" :shock: (help)

sams- I must say I am not a huge fan of the Labradoodle's looks. She has the sweetest personality and is very smart but she looks like a science experiement gone wrong! Imagine a honey colored Lab (apricot poodle color mixed with yellow lab) Lab hair, slightly longer, Lab body completley with Lab face on short poodle legs. Just looks, well... wrong!

But, she is a doll baby! They think they are going to name her Peaches! How frigging cute is that? I will get a pic and post it so you guys can see her.

7. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Well sargesmom, I was trying to be diplomatic. I didn't want to set you off on him if you had managed to control yourself. But since you didn't....

WHAT THE HECK IS UP WITH MOST MEN?!?! I can see my husband doing something like that. In fact, he lets both dogs outside off leash to put them in his car, with the garage door open! Drives me NUTS!! They seem to think that just because something is unlikely, that means it will never happen. I think sometimes they don't even think of the possibilities. I see a situation and immediately think of the things that could go wrong and evaluate their likelihood, the possible damage, the ways to avoid it, and go from there. My husband just shrugs and I swear he has the attitude that we could just get another dog. :shock:

Good thing you are going to counseling. :)

8. Samsintentions

OMG!!! We got a new mini pony named Peaches!!!!!Shes a creamy yellow color with slightly longer hair than a normal horse, and it curls on the ends, and a full white face! She's a complete doll as well. She only stands 30 inches from the ground. You can litterally pick her up!!!

9. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

My Sadie dog got hit once when my HUSBAND had her. He had taken my son (then 5) and his friend to a ballfield to practice hitting and throwing and Sadie ran into the road in front of a pickup. I WAS FURIOUS. And then the dumb beast (husband not Sadie) brings her home. Her backend was covered with blood - she hops out of the car on her own he didn't even help her. I happened to glance out the window cause I heard them drive up. Sadie's a white Shepherd so the blood stood out on her. I flew out the door and was screaming at him.

He didn't even take her to vet - brought her home. If I'd had a hammer. Well she got lucky and only had to have a nasty cut on the inside of her leg glued closed - she was shocky so the vet didn't want to sedate her for stitches.

What is it about men? I asked my husband if Geoff had been hit by the truck if he would have brought him home rather than to the hospital

10. Sarge'smom

Sarge'smom New Member

Sams- Is she a baby? I just had my first up close experience with min ponies at our children's zoo (it's rated in the top 10 in the country) and in their "Barn Yard" area they have mini horses and mini ponies and the mini ponies had babies and I swear Sarge is bigger than those babies! They were just the cutest things I have ever seen! I fell in love with them! The zoo people we talked to about them said they make the greatest pets, especially for parents of toddlers because they are more sturdy than even most large breed dogs (I'm not sure how much they actually KNEW about them as pets, but ok).

Jamiya- That is my husband EXACTLY! Just because it might happen means that it won't! Haven't they ever heard of the The Law of Averages? I said to him "Listen Einstein, you have said that nothing will happen on EVERY single bad decision you have made, the law of averages says that YOU WILL BE WRONG SOME DAY!" And unfortunately for Sarge, I was right! God, they can be so stupid sometimes.

11. GinaH

GinaH New Member

Oh Poor Sarge! IM glad to hear he's going to be OK. Bless your heart you really have had a rough time. I would be furious at my husband to! In fact he has did something along those lines when we lived in Wyoming on the military base. I was at work and my husband called to ask me a stupid question and in the mean time he says IM letting baby out to potty. Baby was our black Cocker Spaniel. Anyway so IM talking to him the whole time thinking he has baby on a leash when he screams Baby! Get over here! Then the next thing I know the phone is dead? He calls back five minutes later to tell me he did not have Baby on leash and she chased a truck and was ran over. She died instantly. I was mad at my husband for a very long time over that. Even now when I think about I get ticked off! Men can be soooooooo DUMB!!

12. lil96

lil96 New Member

that sucks about sarge, I hope he gets better soon!

13. Sarge'smom

Sarge'smom New Member

Actually, you guys all having similar "moronic" experience may save my husbands life! So, thanks from him!

14. Rene

Rene New Member

Poor Sarge i hope he gets better soon and i must say i'm so glad i'm single :lol: i have enough problems with all my furbabies, kids and mom

15. PooGirl13

PooGirl13 New Member

Oh no! Poor Sarge! :cry: I am glad that his injuries are recoverable though!!

Sending lots of hugs from me, Molly & Emma & wishing him a speedy recovery!! :love_y_t_much:

16. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

LMAO!!! I'm going to be laughing about this one all day. :0017:

My husband used to take the kids to the park when they were toddlers. He would have one walking across the playground equipment and he would turn to talk to me. I'd scream at him to WATCH the child, not me - he never got it. He also used to take his eyes off the kids when they were standing a toe length away from a murky pond, feeding the ducks. I would be holding on to their clothing if I let them that close!!

Here's one photo of a labradoodle. I would image different ones look totally different.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/labradoodle.htm

17. Sarge'smom

Sarge'smom New Member

Jaimya- That Labradoodle looks like more doodle then Labra! Peaches looks way more Lab then Poodle. Except for the height and a small wave to the end of her coat. That looks like those Water dogs!

18. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

19. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

20. someday

someday New Member

I'm so sorry to hear about Sarge! Our German Shepherd also got out and was hit when he was about a year old, he fractured both his front legs, and had open wounds on them so we had to splint them instead of cast them..THAT was a mess. But he ended up healing beautifully. So good luck to Sarge too!

Does the labradoodle look more like this
    [​IMG]

or the Apricot/Cream at the bottom of this page
    http://www.labradoodle.com/doodle_haircoat.html

That's what i'm imaging in my head anyways... :)