1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Shi-Poo - Female - Should I get her fixed?

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by Sunshinne83, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Sunshinne83

Sunshinne83 New Member

Good morning All,

I have an adorable shi-poo named Emma. She is the love of my life, when she is not terrorizing my cats, lol. :lol:

She was born the beginning of July so she is about 7 1/2 months. She has not gone into heat yet.

I have a few questions.

What age do they normally go into heat?
    Should I get her fixed?
    If I don't is there a lot of monthly evidence?

I hear different things. Some people say not to get her fixed, others say I should. I am not planning on breeding her.

Thanks for the help guys!

2. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

I think the average is around 6 months but some dogs could be earlier or later.

I say that if you're not going to breed her get her spayed. Spaying gets rid of the risk of ovarian cysts, uterine infections and cancer of the reproductive tract. Also if you get her spayed there's no chance of her accidentally getting pregnant.

3. DogLover

DogLover New Member

I got my girl fixed at 6 months of age, and my boy was fixed as well. The chance of her developing the diseases that Aqueous mentioned will greatly reduce when she's spayed. If you wait till her first heat, you'll have to wait another 3 weeks after her period in order to spay her (learned this from my vet). Although she's a small dog, she would still leave some "red fluid" when she's in heat. In my personal opinion, fixing my dogs will do them more goods.

4. Sunshinne83

Sunshinne83 New Member

Thanks for the help guy.

My vet told me she had a better chance of getting sick if she wasn't spayed but when I talked to two breeders they told me it was the other way around so I thought I better get more info.

5. nern

nern New Member

My aunts 8yr old (not spayed) miniature poodle was recently diagnosed with mammory cancer. Its heartbreaking and they had no idea that having her spayed could have prevented this. Definately have her spayed if you do not intend to breed her.

6. doglover1234

doglover1234 New Member

I deffinatly back the spaying. There are so many health problems you can avoid plus avoid having puppies accidently.