1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Shineillusion here is the answer to your question

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by charmedagain, Feb 2, 2005.

1. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hiya i did more research and got some info from other bird breeders for you hope this helps you out some.

Birds Cannot Digest Milk

If you think about it, this makes sense. Mammals are nourished during infancy with their mother's milk. Birds would never be in a situation in the wild where they would drink milk. For this reason, birds do not possess the digestive enzymes necessary to process milk. Parent birds regurgitate food to their babies in the nest. Although you might have heard about pigeons feeding their babies crop milk, this is actually sloughed cells from the crop and secretions, and not a milk product at all.

Milk sugar is called lactose. Mammals have a digestive enzyme, lactase, to digest milk sugar. Birds simply lack lactase and cannot digest milk products containing lactose. Birds will develop diarrhea when lactose in the diet reaches between 10 and 30 percent. Products that contain a significant amount of lactose are dried skim milk and dried whey. Humans may also suffer from an inability to digest lactose, and this is called lactose intolerance.

Some milk products contain little or no lactose, and these may be safely fed to birds. And actually, these products (cheese and yogurt) are a good source of calcium for birds. Some owners have asked me if they can feed birds items containing lactose if they also give them one of those products for humans (such as Lactaid) to aid in the digestion of milk sugar. Unfortunately, that is also dangerous, as one of the by-products of lactose digestion is galactose, which is also toxic to birds. So these products must never be used in birds.

Monkey Biscuits are for Monkeys, Avian Pellets are for Birds

Monkey biscuits designed for New World primates (those from Central and South America) have very high levels of vitamin D in them, because New World primates have a very high vitamin D requirement. Unfortunately, these biscuits have too much D for parrots, especially macaws, which may show signs of toxicosis, including kidney problems, mineralization of tissues and increased urination. Birds with vitamin D toxicosis may go off feed, become lame, develop diarrhea and become lethargic. It is my opinion that there is no reason today to feed a monkey biscuit based baby-food diet, nor should they be fed to adults. One manufacturer has recently increased the vitamin D levels in the biscuits. The biscuits may also harbor acceptable levels of Gram negative rod bacteria, which is harmless to monkeys, but potentially dangerous to birds.

here is also a link about soy milk.

http://www.soyonlineservice.co.nz/Intro.htm

Hope these have answered your questions the notes about milk.lactaid and monkey biscuts are from an Avian Vetrinarian...

Mike

2. Shineillusion

Shineillusion New Member

Thanks. Like I said, I was just asking out of curiosity.

My own birds get fresh fruits, fresh or frozen vegetables, cooked pasta, hard cooked eggs (with shells) a bit of cheese or yogurt now and then, a seed mix if they've been good and eaten their veggies, cooked beans, peanuts, and dried peppers as treats. Don't walk into the house with a burrito unless you intend to share, LOL.

Their seed mix contains pellets, which they tend to feed to the dogs. They have the dogs quite well trained, calling them with "Come dogs, come dogs" then "Sit up, sit up", which the dogs do. Then they throw them a pellet, peanut, of if they're in a devilish mood, a hot pepper. Then they laugh.

If we have Popsickles, we give them the stick when we're finished. They lick and squeeze all the juice out, then shred the sticks. Great fun, but what a mess.