1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

should I call about neglect?

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by lucidity03, Apr 16, 2004.

1. lucidity03

lucidity03 New Member

I need some advice. I don't currently own a dog but I have a question about a neighbor a block away. Since I don't have a dog, I don't know if this is a normal/acceptable way for a dog to live.

Last year, these people bought a beautiful Husky-like dog (she's bigger than that... she's some breed with the term Native American, I think). These people were elated to have the dog. The grandkids played with the dog in the yard all the time. The people had cookouts all last summer and really seemed to enjoy the dog. When I took walks, I would stop and talk to them about the dog. All they would do is brag about her.

But, that was a year ago and things have changed... drastically.

Over the winter, the dog remained outside while the family remained secluded inside. The dog has no dog house and stays in a tiny front fenced yard (we live in the city, so think of that size). The dog was outside the entire winter no matter what time of day or week I passed by the house. The dog has heavy fur, so I hope the cold didn't bother her like it does smaller breeds or humans. (In Pittsburgh, it can get into the single digits in the winter). I don't know if the dog stays in over night. I've never seen her anywhere but in that yard, though.

I don't know if they have food and water out for her. They do have a front porch that the dog stays on if the weather is bad.

Last week, it was pouring rain and 40 degrees. The rain came in sideways so the porch offered no shelter. I saw the dog huddled by the front door that day and she looked misreable. I sometimes want to cry for her.

I took my husband by the house the next day to look at the dog. The front yard is all dirt now (it was grassy last year). The dog was put on a chain (eventhough she's in a fenced-in yard... I don't get that.) And she was FILTHY. She should have some white fur, but I couldn't see any. She has dirt caked all over her once beautiful coat.

Did these people decide she's not a puppy anymore and that she wasn't worth it? I just don't get it. Hopefully I don't sound crazy, but she looks utterly depressed.

The funny thing is last year that they boasted how the dog never barks and was one of the most gentle breeds out there. Yet, a couple weeks ago, they put a 'beware of dog' sign on their fence. I don't know why, but it makes me feel a little sick.

So... is this something that should be reporated to humane officers? Am I being too sensitive? I don't know what to do.

Any advice?

(sorry this was so long)

2. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

If you are friendly with the people, you might try talking to them before you call the authorities. As far as that goes, regulations vary from place to place. It should be required that the dog have shelter and water - beyond that you will have to find your specific laws.

Before you go talk to them, collect any info on local rescue agencies so you can give it to them if they are curious. Breed rescues are the best way to go, followed by all-breed rescues, and then a no-kill shelter if there is no other choice.

If you talk to the people, approach them in a non-accusatory way, so they don't get defensive and slam the door in your face. You might reminisce about all the good times you saw them having last year, and then note the sign and ask what happened. If they will admit that they are tired of her or can't handle her, sympathize with them on how much time and energy owning a dog takes and then mention to them that the dog might be better off with a different home. Give them the info on rescues and point out that the dog might be happier in a different situation.

I can tell you why there is a sign up now. The dog is bored and lonely. Bored and lonely dogs misbehave. She is probably on a chain because she jumps the fence or digs under it - trying to get to something more interesting to do or people to visit. Many dogs become incessant barkers in this situation.

If they slam the door in your face or tell you she's just fine, please call the authorities.

Jamiya

3. honeybears

honeybears New Member

Oh my you just made me cry :cry:

I would do as Jimiya suggested. And she is probably right the dog is bored and not paid attention too so now it is becoming destructive. Cities vary from state ot state on neglect. and you are to provide shelter and food. Some people can become defensive, but I would approach. But first I would take pictures of the dog out in the rain chained up. So if you do approcha and they suddenly change things breifly you have proof

that is not a way to treat the dog. It sounds like they just got bored and the novelty wore off of owning a dog.

godd luck
    honeybear

4. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

does the dog have any tags on its collar? If not you could always contact your city and make mention that you know of an unlicensed dog (I had to do this recently to convince my nephew he shouldn't keep his dog - he's not a good dog person and I don't understand why he keeps getting them I "stole" his last dog).

I personally don't think it does any good to approach someone - then if you do have to report it they know who reported them and if they are vindictive at all they are going to come looking at you. You can report people anonymously. But if you speak to them they know who reported them. I've turned my neighbors in many times for their little teeny tiney dogs chasing cars - yet they continued to let them run loose - one got hit a few weeks ago (died the poor think was smaller than my cats) and since the dog got hit feet from my driveway (I wasn't home my 15 yr. old son saw it) I KNOW they think we did it cause eveytime they see us they glare.

I would just report them for neglecting their dog...let them deal with the consequences. If they think this is any kind of life for a dog they are idiots and don't deserve a forewarning

5. lucidity03

lucidity03 New Member

That's a good question about the tags... I don't know. I'll have to look and see. Thanks for the pointer.

Also, I am afraid of approaching them because I don't know them too well and if I do call any authorities, they would probably know it's me. If I did it without talking to them, I don't think there would be anyway they would figure out who did it. Especially because I live a block away... I'm not a next door neighbor or anything.

I wish I knew their next door neighbors to see what they think.

6. loonyluna

loonyluna New Member

yes, please call and report them!
    And keep us posted on what happens.

7. nern

nern New Member

I would definately call and report this. I would'nt approach them either. The dog should at least have shelter if its going to be kept outside most of the time...a porch does not count as that.

8. Hi! Bless your Heart! How hard that must be for you seeing that poor animal in those conditions :( Yes I would report them! Grrrrrr :x I guess the newness has worn off and they no longer care about him. I don't understand how people can be so Darn cruel! I hope they do something about it, and please! do keep us posted....

Susan

9. 4Dogsihave

4Dogsihave New Member

Hopefully you live in a place with strict animal laws. I know some places that if you do not cut your dogs coat and it gets very matted its considered abuse. With this being a heavy coated dog I am sure with no grooming it is matted. I have a husky and if we dont keep up with her coat its a mess! So anyway hopefully they will be able to do something for the poor dogs. I would report it annoynomisly(sp?) though, some places they are required to tell them who reported them.

10. lingling

lingling New Member

Hi
    yes it will be a great idea that you report it. You will help the dog because you are the dog voice. I just don't understand how people can be so cruel to their pet. all the pet want is love and attention. REPORT THEM!!!!

11. lucidity03

lucidity03 New Member

Thanks, guys. I'm going to look into it this weekend. I have to get their address to call.

I figured if no one speaks out for the poor thing, she is suffering a life she doesn't deserve.

This is what I get for watching Animal Cops... I feel like I need to say something!

I'll post any updates.

Thanks.