1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Should I purchase another Toy Spaniel?

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by Kimbr, Dec 27, 2008.

1. Kimbr

Kimbr New Member

Hi Everyone,
    I'm new to this site and I wanted some advice. We have a 6 month old Cavalier King Charles Puppy and my husband and I are thinking about purchasing another one. Should we have two dogs? I have never owned two dogs before. Is it alot more work or will the work be worth it. We wanted to get a female to go with our male. Not to breed, just for companionship and because we love our Duncan so much, we wanted another one. Just was wanting other peoples point of view on this idea..
    Thanks,
    Kimbr

2. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

Kimber, First of all welcome to the boards!! we all look forward to seeing more posts and seeing pictures...

As for your question sometimes it is nice having 2 dogs so that they can keep eachother company. It does mean extra work on your part to make sure that housebreaking and obedience training goes well. My mom has the same dog and he is very high energy and could have used a friend to play with. It is a personal decision on your part but I think that the work would be worth it. But then again I have multiple pets

good luck

3. Sara

Sara New Member

I always think two is better than one...but I'm also a multiple pet household. But mostly because dogs are pack animals they need company of their own kind and so a second dog is usually good for a first lonely dog.

Keep in mind though that pack dynamics become even more important when you add a second dog...the best way to make it easier on you is to make sure both dogs are in harmony with eachother. Boosom buddies so to speak. If you end up with two dogs that aren't exactly friends the work for you is not only doubled with a second dog but trippled with dealing with discord between the two of them.

Generally adding a puppy with a puppy is a good choice, oposite genders makes it easier and consistent training for both dogs. Also once you get the second dog in the house make sure you don't play favorites...they're equal to one another and you are the ultimate boss etc...

good luck! I want a King Charles so bad!!!!! post pics too, if you have any.

4. Kimbr

Kimbr New Member

Thank you for your reply.

Hi Sara & HDrydr,
    Thank you so much for the quick response. I'm feeling better all the time about getting another puppy. Seems like everyone has more positive responses than negative ones. Thank you both, for letting me know your views.
    Kim

5. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

Your very welcome kimber we are a good group of folks here from all over the place. And we all have a wealth of knowledge for any problems that arise so keep us in mind. We would love to see pictures and keep us posted on the new addition if you two decide to get another King.
    And Sara is right pack dynamics are crucial just make sure that you stay top dog... That will make your life much easier in the long run.