1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Should I use Neosporin (sp?)

Discussion in 'Dogs - Pit bull breeds specific' started by bullylove1, Apr 15, 2004.

1. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

Hello all!

first I would like to say how pissed I am that it is snowing here!!ARGH!! Watched the playoffs last night and we won (Calgary) against Vancouver. Wahoo! Downtown was a scene!! It took forever for me to get home. I wake up this morning to find almost a foot of snow on my car before work!!! It was 21C 2 days ago. (don't know what it is in Fehrenhiet (sp?))

Anyways, back to business, on Sunday we were at Curts parents house for easter. MMMM, okay, back on track, the neighbours have 2 dogs so being the aggressive girl she is, Harley ran to the fence and she tried going at it with the dog onthe other side of the fence. Well, before I could get over there, the neighbour was there NOT doing ANYTHING. MORON!! He just looked over the fence at Harley and was taunting her with a "Oh my, what are you guys up to over here?" The whole time my dog is trying to eat a hole in the fence to get to the other dog!! Anyways, she rubbed her nose pretty bad on the fence and tore the skin below both nostrils. It was bleeding a bit, but now is just pretty pink. I am sure it must be a little sore, but she seems fine with it. :cry:

My question is, should I be putting anything on it to keepmoisture on it. She does lick it when she licks her nose, but isn't that just like licking you lips when they're dry? - it makes them more dry? I wash it everyday with warm water, and it almost looks like its startign to heal. I am just worried about the scabbing. Is there anything you can recommend that would help heal quickly and not make her sick if she ingests it?

I'm gonna take some pics of her in the snow today. She hates the snow soo badly, I think she was in shock this morning when we went outside. She was LOVING the heat. Damn it!! :shock:

2. True_Pits

True_Pits New Member

Neosporin shouldn't hurt at all and will help with quick healing. Its a really great product. If its the dryness try chapstick or lip balm. Meka suggested chapstick when I was telling how Val has rubbed her nose on the fence to eat grass on the other side. She has a few scabs, its sore and she licks it. So far its helped and for her muzzle I used a wound treatment that heals/promotes hair growth. Because she can stick her muzzle through the fence, its more than her nose, its above it on her muzzle! For your dog I would use the Neosporin though since it has wounds like that. It should be very helpful and I think its pretty safe.

3. Angie

Angie New Member

I heard that a wound heals faster when licked by a dog?

http://www.gi.alaska.edu/ScienceForum/ASF12/1234.html
    In a 1990 study done at the University of California, Davis, researchers found dog saliva killed E. coli and Streptococcus canis, another harmful bacteria. The scientists concluded that when mother dogs licked their nipples it helped keep puppies free from disease, and that dogs licking their own wounds accomplished the same goal.

http://home.earthlink.net/~ejlmp/DOG_ST ... 0Infection

Dog Saliva Helps Lick Infection
    Friday June 13 1:47 PM EDT
    NEW YORK (Reuters) -- Licking one's wounds may help heal them. So say British researchers studying the medicinal powers of saliva. "Licking of wounds promotes healing and reduces bacterial contamination, "say researchers at St. Bartholomew's and the Royal London School of Medicine and Dentistry in London. Scientists have long suspected that wound-licking might possess therapeutic properties. Many animals (including dogs) instinctively lick cuts or abrasions, and a 1970 article in The Lancet reported that injured Fijian fishermen actually have pet dogs lick their scrapes and lacerations as an aid to healing. The researchers behind the current study sought to discover if these behaviors were, in fact, pharmacologically therapeutic. They theorized that nitrites found in saliva might oxidize when put into contact with the acidic surface of human skin. The resulting compound, nitric oxide, is "a powerful antimicrobial substance," according to the researchers, and might prove to be a natural, instinctively applied antiseptic. They recruited a group of 14 healthy volunteers, and asked all of them to lick both the palm and outer surfaces of their hand. They then measured the levels of nitric oxide on those moistened surfaces. Saliva nitric oxide concentrations were found to increase by up to 12-fold after contact with the skin surface, with the average test revealing oxidation at five times normal rates. The simple presence of nitrites might not be enough to cause such dramatic increases -- when nitrite dissolved in water was added to skin, oxidation rates were notably lower. The study authors speculate that another chemical present in saliva, possibly ascorbate, may act as a catalyst in the oxidation process. In any case, they conclude that the chemical reactions occurring when saliva meets skin seem to produce a natural disinfectant. "We suggest that nitric oxide derived from salivary nitrite applied to the skin contributes to the antimicrobial effects of wound licking."
    SOURCE: The Lancet (1997;349:1776)

These are quotes from another dog forum about using neosporin
    here is what people said on dogomaina.com :

"I have used small amounts of triple antibiotic (which has neosporin as one component) successfully with my vet's concurrance"

"Yes, you can use neosporin. " (on dogs)

In my opinion, I would put a little dap on her nose and just try not to let her lick it off for at least 10 mins to give it time to work but I know that would be hard to do... maybe you can keep her busy or something.
    Goodluck

[/b]

4. Sara

Sara New Member

Simple saline solution will kill bacteria and also speed up healing... Then you don't have to worry about ingestion of Neosporin...

A flush with Saline two times a day will clear it up right away...

Just keep it clean...licking tooo much can actually cause a wound to NEVER heal correctly...so watch out for that.

5. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

hmmm...mixed reaction.
    :-# I may wait for more replies on this one.
    I do think neosporin will be fine though. I was just worried about the licking making it more dry.

6. Angie

Angie New Member

Sorry about all that stuff about the saliva. You just made me wonder about it when you said about her licking it so i decided to look up a little about it bc i have heard the rumor before. I just thought Id post it.
    My brother has used neosporin on his dog before and it was fine but I guess it would be different since they lick their nose so much. Hope it gets better soon!

7. True_Pits

True_Pits New Member

Licking is supposed to help heal, its a dogs natural healing system. But its harmful too, it could dry the nose, and it can prevent healing and keep it too wet. Thats why they have those wonderful e-collars sometimes. I have a dog with a foot wound, everytime it was just about healing up she would take it apart again. She would open and lick it, couldn't do much healing with her rewetting it and licking it like that. My Aunt tried to tell me the same line. Licking it is supposed to make it better. I just said not really when she's opening the wound back up again. She's like year your right. She always seems to be giving advice or comments that are not needed or relevent. I love her and everything, but I don't like people butting in to my dog business I guess. Especially not with some of this stuff.

8. chickee

chickee New Member

Bag Balm or something similar is good. Rub it in. It stays pretty well actually, even if licked a little. a few times a day or whenever. It's good for abrasions, callous, and all kinds of things. All you need is a small jar of it, it will last forever. lol.... You can get it a wal-mart and most any farm/tractor stores.......

Actually, I wouldn't even worry about it. I've had way worse than that going on over here and I usually don't do much of anything unless it's something close to major.

9. 4Dogsihave

4Dogsihave New Member

You might alo try bacitracin, it is an ingrediant in Neosporan but the pure form of it works great. I find it heals alot quicker than neosporan. It cost about the same and I usually get it at wal-mart or a drug store. I had never heard of it until my doctor suggested it for one of my children. It works wonders. I swear it will heal anything. (LOL not really but I love the stuff!)

10. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

Thanks guys. I went to the drugstore and the pharmacist gave me polysporin cream. She said it will have the same effect as the neo and wont harm her.

The trick will be getting it on her and not to let her lick for a couple of minutes. I think thats where peanut butter will come in handy. ;)