1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

siamese fighter and coral blue gourami

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by doldol, Jan 21, 2005.

1. doldol

doldol New Member

Can anyone help?

I was told by a guy at an aquatics shop that i could put a fighter (male) in my community tank. So i bought him.

I have a coral blue gourami in the community that seems to be quite aggressive to the fighter. But they've only been together for a day or two.

I have just read that two different male species of bettas can be mixed providing you only have one of each.

Does anyone know if this is true? Or should i remove one of the fish and seperate them?

I'm quite new to this, so any help would be cool

2. tski22

tski22 New Member

Male bettas may be compatible in communities provided the fish are right. Gouramis have the tendancy to like like betta fish, so many a time agression will occur. Some fish may also nip at bettas fancy tails. Just a little advice I personally would remove the betta fish and put it in a smaller tank or return it. -tl

3. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

I don't think putting 2 male bettas together is the wisest thing to do, even if they are different (ie. crowntails and short finned). I has a short finned betta (sometimes people sconfuse them with females because they look similar but are larger) and he was just as aggressive to my other bettas as they were to him.

I've found my gouramis to be quite peaceful ( i have 2 dwarf gouramis and 2 dwarf powder blue gouramis). They've never gone after my fish in any way especially not my betta ( i had to throw him in the tank last night because my sister broke one of my 3G tanks).

If it really worries you I'd remove the betta.

4. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

In general it's a bad idea to mix male bettas and pretty much any type of male gourami because they are so closely related and will likely fight. There are a few odd instances where it works (I used to have an incredibly passive male betta), but those are generally pretty rare.

-Chelle

5. doldol

doldol New Member

That was quick!

Thanks all, i think i'd betta (sorry) take him back to the shop.

if only the shop guy was as helpful as you.

Cheers All

6. Fishfirst

Fishfirst New Member

bettas and gourami's rarely get along together because they are in the same group of fish and have similar colors and shapes. I would definately remove the betta

7. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

like msot people said, it probably wont workout. a few years back when i had a community tank, i had a passive betta like t-chelles and he was kept with a gourami.