1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Siberian Husky Adopted, Advise Please

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by Shedevil677, Dec 29, 2004.

1. Shedevil677

Shedevil677 New Member

Hi, My partner and I have adopted a 1 1/2 year old husky, she is beautiful. and VERY smart. She was never givin attention or played with before and is loving our attention. However we need advise, just the simple things that Husky owners take for granted, ie. what to feed her? how to keep her entertained while at work? grooming? training?

We will be taking her to training school,

i think all i need is a little advice as it has been very hard on myself handling her the last couple of days. (i think u know what i mean)

thanking you in advance.

Jo

2. nern

nern New Member

Congrats on your new husky! :D

I don't have experience with huskies but I believe there are a few members here that have them.

Personally, I feel that the nothing in life is free program is a great thing to practice with any dog regardless of age or breed. You can read more about it here:
    http://k9deb.com/nilif.htm

There are lots of high quality foods available these days to choose from. Innova and Timberwolf Organics are two that I've had good results with but there are lots of other good brands as well.
    Here is a site that you might find helpful in selecting a good commercial pet food:
    http://www.api4animals.org/689.htm

As far as keeping dogs busy while you are away....kongs are wonderful and seem to keep many dogs occupied for hours. You can fill them with all kinds of goodies.

3. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

welcome! and thank you for giving this girl a new home!

Huskies are very smart, and often times have "dominance" issues. I know a few people here that have huskies and can give some great advice! Would love to see pics of your new baby!

4. Shedevil677

Shedevil677 New Member

Bugger! forgot Camera again

I've been meaning to bring my camera into work to download, shall try and remember tomorrow. She is going to be alot of work and i'm already starting to stress out, the main issues would be, feeding (what to feed and how much, i want to keep her full so she doens't run while we are at work) second tyeing her up in the backyard, we have her on a runner atm but have been told to limit there rope room because the more they can run the more she will.

I really need to send a few e-mails back and forth with a Siberian Husky owner, if any one can help me.

Happy New Year Everyone!

5. CockatielCrazy87

CockatielCrazy87 New Member

Hello. I own a 5 year old male SH named Solix. A Siberian Husky is friendly and gentle, but also alert and outgoing. Alsoit does not display the possessive qualities of the guard dog, nor overly suspicious of strangers or aggressive with other dogs ( not meaning that they are never aggressive with other dogs). Also though Husky's have a very independent spirit and may at times challenge you a great deal.
    While capable of showing strong affection for his family, the Siberian Husky is not usually a one-man dog. He exhibits no fear or suspicion of strangers, and will greet guests cordially. If he lacks a fierce possessive instinct, he also lacks the aggressive quality which can sometimes cause trouble for the owner of an ill-trained or highly sensitive guard dog. In his relations with strange dogs, the Siberian Husky displays friendly interest and gentlemanly decorum. If attacked, however, he is ready and able to defend himself, and can handle the aggressor with dispatch. Also Predatory instincts in a SH is strong owners must be aware that small animals in and around the home, such as squirrels, rabbits, birds, guinea pigs, hamsters, and cats are potential victims of their strong predatory instinct.

A SH is a pretty easy dog to care for. They are by nature fastidiously clean and is free of body odor and deals with parasites well. At least once a year the Siberian Husky sheds his coat which most people enjoy compared to other breeds who constantly shed.

SH's are also pretty well known for for doing their share of chewing and digging. The the chewing is a habit that most puppies of all breeds acquire during the teething period, and it can be curbed or channeled in the right direction. Digging holes is a pastime that many Siberian Huskies enjoy alot but like chewing they can be outwitted into no longer doing so
    The SH requires a relatively small amount of food for his size
    The Siberian Husky is noted as an "easy keeper," requiring a relatively small amount of food for his size.

6. 4Dogsihave

4Dogsihave New Member

Hi there! I also own a 5yo SH. We found her about 2 years ago. She had not been played with or given proper care so its taken alot of work to get her to trust and know how to play again.

SH are active dogs, mine is very laid back but I have a friend who has like 10 of them. They are very active and if not excorsiced (sp) they can get pretty rowdy. They love to run but do not have a very good sence of direction so she needs to be supervised when running. They are as mentioned a very intellegent breed. Just the other day my husky took the kids dinner plates off their little table. Layed them on the floor ate everything and stacked them back on the table. We were done with dinner and in the other room just hadent cleaned up yet. How many dogs do you know that will put the plates back? LOL.

If your dog is going to be primarialy indoors grooming is a must. Mine does not blow her coat once a year, she sheds all year since she is indoors. I find that a slicker brush is great and she loves it. I usually brush her at least once a day as soon as it starts to get warm this really helps with the hair all over the house.

As for the lead, I dont know, mine wont stay on one, she manages to get off everything. So we fenced in the back yard and that works great for us. She stays indoors while we are not there, I dont trust her or people enough to leave her out. If she sets her mind to do something like get out she will. Also we have a alot of dogs stolen in my local area.

I feed Jasmine Innova only I free feed since none of mine have weight issues. This doesnt work for everyone so I would try going by what your bag of food suggests or check with your vet. It may take some adjusting.

Well without going too overboard here you can email me mmsmrc@yahoo.com and we can talk some more.

7. seaecho

seaecho New Member

Siberians can be a real challenge. They require a great deal of time and training, so I was very glad to hear you are going to enroll her in obedience classes. Good going! They tend to be destructive, are escape artists, and often howl. Many of them are notorious diggers. They were bred to be sled dogs, so obviously they have a LOT of energy to burn. (Not all of them, but most of them are like this). In other words, they need a tremendous amount of exercise to be happy. Its not their fault - its in their genes. Otherwise, they will be destructive. I was concerned when I saw that you will be tying her up. I personally don't think any dog should be tied up. Its just too limiting for an active breed, especially. Is there any way you can put up a fence? This way the dog could have more freedom. Even if its a fairly small area, at least the dog would have more freedom than a chain would provide. And be prepared to walk her for AT LEAST an hour a day. These dogs really do NEED it, its a requirement for them to stay healthy and fit. Ideally, she should also have an opportunity to really run as fast as she wants every day until she tires out. After all, they were bred to pull a shed at a run through snow for about eight hours a day! They have tremendous stamina and endurance. This is why so many people buy a Siberian and then give them up. The maintenance is so high. But it seems as if you are at least partially aware of this, and are willing to put in the extra effort. Keep up on her grooming, too. They have lots and lots of undercoat that has to be brushed out about twice a year (takes many hours) in addition to the frequent comb-outs that will keep her from getting mats. They are very pretty dogs and can make great pets if the owner is really dedicated.

8. Shedevil677

Shedevil677 New Member

Thanks for your replies, Makiko is doing alot better now, she has settled down heaps. We took her to the beach the other day and she loved it. She is eating well and is starting to respond to us more.

We have a man coming to our house on Saturday to see her and teach us some basic training. We have put up a runner for her it's about 8 metres long and the lead gives her about 3 each side, she loves it. I know it's awfull to keep a dog on a lead, but to tell you the truth we just learnt that she has been off the lead (at our house) more than she was with her old owners! so in fact she is getting more free time with us.

I'm starting to feel a bit better about the whole situation now. My next small goal is to get her to respond to her name, it's a hard name to say so i predict that she was called all sorts of other things. any hints?

Till next time.

9. Shedevil677

Shedevil677 New Member

Finnally got pics, hope you like

hmm i can't work it out, sorry

10. Shedevil677

Shedevil677 New Member

[​IMG]
    Here she is our Makiko

And this is Cosmo when he first laid eyes on Makiko! lol

[​IMG]

And this is how makiko was looking back at Cosmo at the same time

[​IMG]

11. kyles101

kyles101 New Member

those pictures are so funny! reminds me of my cat when i first brought kuma home. i was fearing for kumas safety! :lol: as people have said they can have dominance issues. training training and more training is needed as well as a tonne of exercise. also dont be suprised if she can be stubborn. most spitz breeds are as stubborn as anything!!! [but this makes them extra special and cute]

12. Shedevil677

Shedevil677 New Member

It's been a while

Hi guys, it's been a while since i wrote, we are going will with Makiko, we have just put up a fence and letting her off all the time now, she seems happier.

I have a quick question to all dog owners, do you have any tricks to stop dogs from pulling out and playing with plants from pots? At first and most of the time it is just plants that have almost died, all brown and hardly any leaves.

Does anyone have a ny suggestions on what to do, we can't watch her all the time. and i don't want to tie her up when we are unable to watch (to catch her in the act) her.

Cheers
    Jo
    Here's a pic of our girl
    [​IMG]

13. honeybears

honeybears New Member

she is so pretty, you can buy sprays like Bitter apple and other things at the pet stores, you spray whatever you dont want to be chewed on, and you can also try spraying her with a water bottle or jingle a can of change to startle her if you can catch her in the act

honeybear

14. Shineillusion

Shineillusion New Member

Hot sauce or cayenne pepper might work too. But then again, it might not. I had a dachshund bitch who became quite fond of hot sauce and hot peppers.

I've also found that some dogs will stop playing in the plants if you put a collar of aluminum foil around the top of the pot. I guess they don't like the taste or feel of the aluminum. Then again, some dogs do like to chew it, so maybe not.

A couple of cotton balls soaked in diluted amonia? That might do the trick too.

15. seaecho

seaecho New Member

Don't forget that huskies need EXERCISE, EXERCISE, EXERCISE to help curb their destructive tendencies.

16. Nik

Nik New Member

Oh my goodness. That face is sooo adorable!

**goes to investigate Siberian Huskys**

I want one. Really, maybe 2 :lol:

Well, it's almost saturday so your trainer will be there soon with all the answers.

Keep us posted, with many, many pics!

17. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

She's so beautiful! I think the easiest way to keep a dog out of the potted plants is to move the potted plants somewhere that the dog can't get to. :)

18. Shedevil677

Shedevil677 New Member

Great advice, thanks guys. I'm gonna print and try some of those things

We try to excercise her heaps we walk each afternoon, take her o dog parks and take her over my brothers each weekend for a good play with his Staffy. but i tell you Huskies have ALOT of energy! lol

The training is going will i had her heeling the other day with the lead just draging on the ground.

catch up again soon, thanks again guys for all advice

19. Shedevil677

Shedevil677 New Member

An Update on Makiko

Hi guys,

Just letting all you know that we have found a home for Makiko! They are a family of 5 with the youngest aged 2 (who follows Makiko every where)

I am really sad as i didn't want to give her away but she needed the loving attention that a family could give her.

The mum is home all day with the youngest girl, so Makiko will never be alone. The Dad is Coach of a Childrens Footy Team and he takes her to games on the weekends and she loves it!.

I have no regrets taking her in as i belive that we gave her the chance to end up with such a great family. We got her desexed (so no more bleeding) we had her trained, (so she now sits and walks really well, along with other things)

We taught her how to play! and we got her Wormed for the next year.

We spend about 400 dollars (aus) on her during the two and a half month, but i don't regret one bit of it.

She has taught us alot, god i miss her.

Sorry to blabber on, but i though you guys might like to know that a Beautifull Female Siberian Husky has found a lovely family to love a grow old with.

Thankyou to EVERYONE who replyed in my posts, as it was a tough time for me and D. Thanks again

Cherio

Joanne

20. honeybears

honeybears New Member

It does sound like you found a loving home for her. I am glad you were able to do that.

honeybear