1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Sick Betta, Please Help

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by princessjen, Nov 28, 2005.

1. princessjen

princessjen New Member

I got my first Betta fish, Sammie, a few months ago in June. He has always been very active busy fish. But the last few weeks he hardly ever moves. He just lays in his plants near the top of the water. When ever I walk into the room he does'nt even come to see me like he used to. When he does sometimes swim, he seems to let his back end just fall under him. Any ideas what could be wrong with him?

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

How big is his tank?
    Does it have a filter?
    What are your readings for ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAte?
    How often and how large are your water changes?
    What are you feeding him and how much?
    Does he look bloated or anything like that?
    Are his fins frayed?

-Chelle

3. princessjen

princessjen New Member

How big is his tank? 1 gallon

Does it have a filter? no

What are your readings for ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAte? dunno

How often and how large are your water changes? I do a 100% water change every week.

What are you feeding him and how much? I have pellets, flakes, and bloodworms. He hardly ever eats.

Does he look bloated or anything like that? The first day he was acting funny, I noticed he was very bloated under his gills, but that only lasted a few hours.

Are his fins frayed? nope

4. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I suggest getting an ammonia tester (since there's no filter, you don't need nitrIte or nitrAte).

A 1 gallon with a betta really should be getting 100% water changes every 3 days so you sould probably start increasing the water changes. He may be suffering from ammonia poisoning. Does he act any better after a water change?

-Chelle

5. princessjen

princessjen New Member

I do sometimes change the water twice a week. He does'nt act any better after a water change.