1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

sick cockatiel.. what do i do?

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by hellO_buddyboy, Jul 15, 2005.

1. hellO_buddyboy

hellO_buddyboy New Member

my 9 month old cockatiel is sick...

yesterday he sneezed more then he should, he had fluffed up feathers, loss of balance, drinks more water, hardly eats..

Now today: his starting to eat more, his feathers are still fluffed up... i noticed him bleed on his wing. i think it was caused when he was grooming his wing. there was quite a lot of blood, but now its stopped. could it be a blood feather? could he die?

and how can get him healthy again??

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi bleeding wings are usually caused by the bird thrashing around in the cage during the night if the get spooked by something since birds can not see during the night the slightest noise will send them into a panic. Bleeding from preening feathers is very unlikely unless it has broken a blood feather aslong as the bleeding has stopped he will be fine.

Birds sneeze if there is dust in the air like all animals and humans birds can get allergies aswell.
    Birds will also fluff up there feathers if they are too warm or too cold but is also a sign of illness and should be seen by an Avian vet ASAp to rule any illnesses out.

As for the not eating much and drinking lots there could be a number of reason,

1, A vitamin or Calcium deficiency
    2, Diabetes,
    3, Bacterial Infection,

A visit to an avian vet will give you the answers.

Make sure he is on a good quality seed, give him millet spray, fresh fruit and vegtables.

Let us know the outcome of the vet visit

Mike