1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Size limitations for planted aquarium?

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by drab911, Mar 21, 2005.

1. drab911

drab911 New Member

Hello everyone.. I have been reading through many articles and im starting to get the impression that in order to have plants in an aquarium its going to be a minimum of 20 gallons.
    I have a 16 Gallon curved tank... who's hood is only 20" long. Thus only being able to hold an 18" flourescent tube... As you know ive tried the compacts to no avail.. Are there other limitations other then lighting AKA the volume of water too small and im going to have high levels of fertalizer etc.. as a beginner though very determined would you guys suggest staying away from plants until I eventually upgrade to a larger tank where I can accomidate adaquite lighting.. jsut because it seems in order to get the proper wattage on the water would cause a heat issue..
    or will my 15 watt light be good enough for just one or 2 very very low light plants? Im not picky just ichy LOL thanks guys for reading this

2. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

you should make a diy hood that is what i am making right now for my ten gallon planted when i am finshed it it will have 45 watts when i am done ill post pics

3. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

its not quiet done yet but this is it so far

[​IMG]

4. drab911

drab911 New Member

How long are those tubes?

5. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

6. drab911

drab911 New Member

And what do you plan to cover the box with? Glass or plexiglass?

7. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

plexiglass

8. drab911

drab911 New Member

Where do you plan on picking up your plexiglass? I guess you will be cutting it to size yourself as well...

9. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

i have some spare 1/4inch stuff laying aroundand ya ill be cutting it myself