1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

size of cage for finches

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by drab911, Feb 9, 2005.

1. drab911

drab911 New Member

Hello everyone.. well I am moving next week and since I have put my 2 budgies in the same cage, I now have a free cage and I was planning to get some more birds once I move.. I am thinkin of finches because I would like a little larger flock.... The cage I have is in my opinion good enough for 2 budgies... do you guys think that a cage this size could house maybe 3 or 4 finches since they are smaller? I have noticed that in the pet store they seem to fly around a lot more... and I think it would be awsome to have 4 of the little guys haha... anyways any input would be awsome.. also is it at all possible putting finches together with budgies?? thanks...

2. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

I don't think cage size shouldn't be a problem as long as the bar spacing is small enough so they can't squeeze through.

3. iobre8ks

iobre8ks New Member

i try to keep less than six in a cage that is 2 feet by 2 feet by 18 inches. I have breed three successful clutches of zebra finch i would love to help you if you need any help.

4. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

The spacing in the cage bars should be no bigger than 1cm anything bigger and the risk of the finch's trying to get through and getting stuck is high.

A budgie cage is usually ok.
    How most people work it is a cage that can hold 4budgies will hold 6-8 finch's and so on but there needs to be plenty of room for them as finch's can become very agressive if there is not enough space for them.

Also if you plan on breeding them the cage must be large enough to have a nest box for each pair you have in the cage.

Mike

5. drab911

drab911 New Member

I do not plan on breeding them, well at least as of yet hehe... So I guess I will go with 4 then, so very excited... but in about a year I plan on building a large indoor cage in that case is it possible to house my budgies and finches in the same cage if it is quite large enough... like im talking maybe 5' x 5' etc...
    Thanks I would just love to have many different species living together at least its my goal :) thanks for all of the help guys!

6. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

i found an article online that says you can:

http://www.birds-online.de/allgemein/anderevoegel_en.htm

7. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi but what they do not state is that even though budgies and finch's can be kept together, budgies or the finch's will need to be removed when the budgies start breeding as they are vey territorial agressive with all other birds when they are laying eggs and breeding.

They will attack any other nesting pairs to get the best nesting site and will actually fight to the death to get what they want.
    Myself and other breeders found this out the hard way.

I do not suggest having both breeds in together if you plan on breeding either species.

Mike

8. drab911

drab911 New Member

not gonna breed though

but once again I would like to say that I do not plan on breeding any of my birds... Will the absence of a nest hault the breeding possabilites?? and if so then I should be safe to mix the pairs of birds??

9. iobre8ks

iobre8ks New Member

I was going to colony breed but read up about it and found out that there are way too many risks so now i have two pairs in their own cage. I was thinking about making an avairy that is 6 foot 3 x 6 foot 8 x by 6 foot 4. It is part of my bedroom that is separate from the rest. I have a uv light bulb in my room so i would then buy like a tree and a bush that could be kept in a pot and could get them cheap since i work at a greenhouse in the spring. I would love to get it set up but don't have the money right now. I would also like to get a pair of baby blue and black lovebirds. My loce pet store had some and they were very pretty she sold them really fast though.

10. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Not having a nest box usually stops them laying but with all birds they will lay there eggs on cage floor if there is nowhere else for them.

Finch's are prolific breeders so even if there is no nest they will lay in food dishes, Cage floor anywhere they think is perfect for a nest.

Reducing the amount of light they get per day, Moving things around in the cage, or even moving the cage to another location usually deters birds from breeding as it puts them on edge.

But usually the reduction of light is enough to stop them breeding.

Mike