1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Size of food/water bowls?

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by PooGirl13, Apr 18, 2004.

1. PooGirl13

PooGirl13 New Member

I'm searching for food/water bowls & I have no idea how much food a puppy normally eats... :roll:

Any suggestions on what size bowls to get?

2. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

=P~ Hi PooGirl~

Your shih-poos won't eat a lot, so you don't need anything real big.

I bought two smaller sized bowls for their food (I bought two to prevent any jealousy problems from arising), and I bought one bigger sized bowl for water. (Water bowls are less of a concern when it comes to jealousy since they won't use it nearly as much as the food bowls, but you could get two if you wanted.)

I definitely recommend that you buy stainless steel bowls as opposed to plastic!!! Some dogs really like to chew, and plastic is a very appealing chew, so stay away from plastic bowls.

I bought my bowls at Petsmart, here is a link to the exact bowls that I got in case you are interested in looking at them. (If you scroll down toward the bottom of the page on this link you will notice the bowl sizes listed, I bought two 2 cup bowls for food, and one 4 cup bowl for water; both sizes have worked out great and are plenty big):
    http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_ ... 2240481718

It's not the best picture of them, but the bowls are really cute because of the pattern around the rim of the bowl! (I know, I am probably crazy for thinking the bowls are "cute" LOL :lol: )

Happy Shopping! :D

*Oh, and just a reminder, it is important to always keep your dog's water fresh! :y_the_best:

3. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

Oh my gawsh, Mybabyshih....
    Bailey has those same bowls too!! hehe!! :) I agree, stainless steel is the only way to go! :eek: We bought a different bowl set when we first got Bailey and the piece of junk RUSTED!!! I totally frrrreaked out the first time i saw the rust, cuz I wondered HOW LONG IT HAD BEEN THERE before I saw it! eeeeeeeeeeek..... :0024:

Poogirl....
    As far as how much food, it will depend on what you decide to feed the girls.... i.e., canned, kibble, or both. The food brands give you feeding suggestions on the package, so if you go by that originally, you shouldn't have any problems. :)

Have you decided on a brand of food? You may want to check with the breeder and find out what brand he/she will be feeding them -- hopefully it's one of the good brands - and then you will probably want to stick with the same stuff, so you don't upset their tummies when they get HOME. Luckily, Bailey was brought up on Nutro ( :y_the_best: an excellent brand) and so that's what we've always feed him. (that, of course, is when he decides to eat! grrrrr)

I just thought of something: Maybe mybabyshih can give you some advice on how to feed two dogs at the same time? I am sure that sometimes that can be a challenge! especially if one is a pigger/stealer :D

4. PooGirl13

PooGirl13 New Member

Thank you both!!! :D I had read stainless steel was the best thing for them, so thank you for confirming that :y_the_best:

Hubby and I are 99% sure we are going to feed Back to Basics dog food (not canned...kibble). It's human grade food and we think that might be the best for them. One of the breeders we spoke to couldn't say enough about it and then we did our own research and are happy with what we've learned about it.

We will definetely ask the breeder what she was feeding them so we can keep them on that and then gradually switch them over to the Back to Basics :D

I will certainly follow your lead, Mybaby, in regards to getting 2 bowls! If they end up eating out of the same one that's fine but I'd rather not have any jealously problems come up either!!

ps: is it May yet?

5. PooGirl13

PooGirl13 New Member

BTW, I LOVE the bowls you got and I'll be getting those too now! They are so cute! :D

6. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

Monster~

I guess the old saying is true, great minds think alike! :0023:

PooGirl~

Those bowls are GREAT and I love 'em...no rust problems like you might find in other bowls! :y_the_best:

Yes, it is a good idea to have two seperate food bowls to prevent problems, but if THEY choose to eat out of the same bowl that is fine. But even if they do, still leave two bowls down.

At first Mickey & Tigger would always try and eat out of the same bowl despite the fact that they had two bowls side-by-side, but I would gently move one over to the other bowl so they could eat a little easier since both of them were little piggies when it came to each meal. Now, they each eat out of their "own" bowl which is probably the result of me moving one over to the other bowl when they were real young.

*Now there are problems where one dog might be real aggressive and not let the other dog eat, or one dog will eat his/her portion, and then eat the other dog's portion as well - in those cases the two dogs will need to be physically separated during meal times to ensure that the other dog is getting enough to eat. Fortunately, that was not the case for me.

Can't wait to hear about, and see your babies!!! :D

7. ilovemaltipoos

ilovemaltipoos New Member

LORD , [-o< Please Help Mybabyshihpoo ,she is getting too self assured :0011: ,too much of a big head :love_y_t_much: ,too smart :0013: ....all in all I think she needs to really relax and take a pill :0023:

just kidding !!!!!!

Stainless is the only way to go ...

8. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

LMAO Malti...I'm glad you're here to keep me in check!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:
    Forget the pill and relaxation, how about we talk about this over a Bloody Mary? LOL :0008:

9. ilovemaltipoos

Can I have 2 of em ? =D> :wink: Tonight I need all the help to crash I can get ...LOL !

10. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

Hey, speakin' of drinkin'.... :0008:

The other night, my hubby was making us margaritas and he was trying to get Bailey to lick the rim of the glass to get the salt to stick! At first I was mad (and grossed out :-& ), then I thought... hey, if it'll get my drink to me faster, then more power to youuuuu, baby. :kiss_her:

And nooooo it didn't work.... we all know that those dog licks are pretty dry, not drooly! 8)

11. PooGirl13

PooGirl13 New Member

You guys are too funny! :lol:

12. ilovemaltipoos

And we really are not trying to be funny ,it just works out that way !

Glad Bailey is not a little alcoholic ...LOL !!

Page me ! :0020:

13. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

LOVED the story Monster...too cute!!! :eek:

ANYTHING for you Malti...2 BM's comin' right up! LOL :mrgreen:

I don't know if you'll be able to hear it after your 2 BM's...LOL! :0008:

Hey, has anyone noticed that this emoticon =D> doesn't work???

14. ilovemaltipoos

I can hear just fine ,it just takes longer to get to the computer ....LOL!
    Yes ,there are two that are marked wrong and neither of them work =D and another one .

Page me if needed :0020:

15. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

hehe.... you two are slayinnnnnnn me! LOL :0023:

Poogirl,
    I've never heard of "Back to Basics"... I'm sure it's great stuff!

16. ilovemaltipoos

I actually think I will write a book ...

Titles to consider :
    How to drink and eat over the net ?(Losing weight the natural way (subtitle )
    or
    The day I found my Turtle ( All About Dogs (subtitle )

All I wanted was a Cat ( I have 8 Siblings (subtitle )

Paging the Page & A Bloody Mary (Life on a computer with a Shihpoo and a Monster(sbutitle ) :0019: :0020:

What do you all think ?
    Poogirl ...The book "BAck to Basics " where did you get it ? Author ?

17. PooGirl13

PooGirl13 New Member

Back to Basics is a brand of pet food.. not a book! LOL! One of the breeders we visited swore by this food ~ she told us that even if we didn't buy our babies from us, she still hoped we would consider BTB, she recommended it highly.

There's a website you can check out: http://www.backtobasicspetfood.com/

It's human quality, antiobiotic & hormone free, holisitic... gee, I feel like I'm in a commercial.. :lol:

I think we are going to go with this.. There's a couple of places in my area that sell this so I'm going to call and find out what the shelf life is etc. It's more expensive, but it sounds like great stuff :D

18. ilovemaltipoos

Oh ,sorry ...guess I have not read about that particular food .Holistic food around here cannot be found much .I found one carrier of some and did not like it .Tried it out on a few of mine and it did nt set well with them .Out of 5 ,one liked it actually enough to eat some each day ,the others looked ,smelled and walked away ,would only eat it when they found I wans't kidden ' ,spoiled I guess .
    The reason I was asking about a book wwas because I have heard of a book called that ,thinking it was something ot do with training or something ,thought to give it a look .
    My fault for misunderstanding or not reading correctly ,been really busy lately .

19. PooGirl13

PooGirl13 New Member

No problem at all :D

The Back to Basics website offers at home automatic delivery, but I'm not sure that we'll do that.. especially since I don't know how much they'll eat.

That's interesting that you mentioned some of your puppies didn't like it, I wonder if mine will?! Fingers crossed that they do like it. If not, we'll try something else :)

20. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

Malti~

Im lovin' those titles!!! LOL :eek:

You know Monster and I will be first in line to buy your book! hehe :lol:

PooGirl~

I have never heard of Back to Basics, so I am glad you explained it. It does sound like a good brand.

You'll have to let us know if your pups like it, and if it goes over well with them! :y_the_best: