1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Small Lab

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by Dennis, Jul 11, 2004.

1. Dennis

Dennis New Member

Im confused as to why my female Yellow Lab is so small. She is pure bred. as is her brother (my uncle owns him). I've had 2 yellow labs in the past and they were all about the size of my uncles male, but this one seems to be much smaller, by atleast half.

She is about a year and a half, and weighs about 65 pounds.

Is there anyway to increase her size, or is she just smaller than most.

2. loves-da-pits

loves-da-pits New Member

Dennis: If a Vet has deemed you Lab as healthy, I wouldn't worry about her size. She must have genetically been born to be smaller than the average. And that's O.K.

65 # is not what I consider an exsively small dog as far as Labs goes. Labs are proned to weight problems and hip problems as they get older. If she is on the petite side, all the better.

After a complete physical and the Vet says she's healthy, rejoice!! Bigger doesn't always mean they're better.

3. Dennis

Dennis New Member

don't get me wrong i love my puppy! and yes she is very healthy i was just curious as to why shes soo small :D

4. winnie

winnie New Member

Hi Dennis, I have a Lab too and she is small aswell...she weighs the same as your Lab and she could use to loose about 3 more pounds...I think some Labs are just smaller then others, maybe ours were the runts or something :)

5. Dennis

Dennis New Member

Probably, my uncle got her for my mom as a gift, i wouldn't put it past him to say he paid big bux for a runt lol

6. kira1386

kira1386 New Member

I agree, i think you're puppy is just fine, I had a black lab/chow mix that was about 70-80 lbs. (he was short and fat beause of the chow) but I have seen labs anywhere from around 85-95 to bout 50. My boyfriend has a lab that is probably only around 45-50. I think your baby is just fine also

7. elizavixen

elizavixen New Member

Also, females are usually smaller than the males. I also have a small female, not a lab, a St. Bernard. She is barely 100 lbs (sounds big but she's teeny for a Saint - they usually run about 160-200 lbs).

8. Dukesdad

Dukesdad New Member

Dennis,
    The AKC Standard shows the bitch weight range between 55 - 70 Lbs. so your pup is almost at the TOP end. Duke, my male yellow, only weighs 75 Lbs and his Vet wants him to stay where he is.
    Check the standard at: http://www.akc.org/breeds/recbreeds/labdoret.cfm