1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Snakes

Discussion in 'All other pets' started by Loach, Jan 19, 2005.

1. Loach

Loach New Member

What is a good,small, snak for a beginner?

2. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

I have a friend that has a corn snake and ball python. He's always saying how great they are. They get btwn 3-5 feet i believe.

3. Nathanael

Nathanael New Member

Snake Species for Begginer Hobbyist

Hi! I used to have a garter snake and I think they are probably the best species of snakes you could have. They can be kept in a 10 gallon aquarium. I fed mine feeder goldfish. Hope this helps! :eek:

4. Blueribbon

Blueribbon New Member

Loach,

There are two snakes that are great for a beginner and they are the corn snake and a ball python. They are easy to take care of and the both have a great temperment they not aggresive and they like to be held. The corn snake will take a little bit of work to get it used to being handled but it is by far the easiest to take care of BP's ( ball pythons ) are the same way. If you have any questions please feel free to pm or email me. I have a ball python right now but will be getting another corn snake soon ( just lost my two corns due to a sickness ).

5. venom

venom New Member

i know this is kinda old but the best beginner snake would be a corn snake, ribbon snake, or garter snake. all stay small (except the corn) and dont need that large a tank (except the corn) and all are pretty cheap.

6. seaecho

seaecho New Member

I have to agree with the others that corn snakes would be my number one choice for a beginner snake owner. Ball pythons are wonderful too, but they do have a reputation for being poor eaters. Many of them are like this - I don't know why. This could be discouraging and scary for a beginner. I had a red tail boa that had the typical boa temperament - just as sweet, slow and mellow as he could be. They do get very big though, and that's a major consideration. King snakes are great, and come in endless attractive patterns and colors, but they do move a lot more quickly than corn snakes or boas, so this could be intimidating to a new owner. Also, they are more aggressive when being fed (they have healthy appetites!) Rosy boas haven't been brought up yet, and I personally think they are one of the best. I had a Chocolate Mexican rosy boa as my first pet (it was recommended by a breeder) and next to my current corn snake, it was the best snake I've ever had. Sweet, slow and very laid back. Also, they don't get big - no bigger than your average corn snake. Good luck, and you won't be sorry, since they are fantastic pets!

Randi

7. klorentz

klorentz New Member

Here is my top 5 snake list in order of ease of care and handling .

1 . Corn Snake

2. Ball Python ( CB )

3. Pacific Gopher Snake

4 . Garter Snakes

5 . California King Snake

A word on Ball Pythons . Make sure if you get a ball python that it is captive bred . Wild caught Ball Pythons can have some issues which can be very expensive . They can come in loaded with ticks and internal parasites . Also they may refuse to eat . And as with any new pet do your research before you buy .

Kevin

8. tuttifrutti

tuttifrutti New Member

im thinking a corn snake or a milk snake. my sister got a milk snake, her first ever, and he just loves her. he just sits on her while she holds him, he struck once, but it was while he was in the blind period of his shedding and he had just been startled by a loud noise. he is a really sweet snake.
    i had a garter and hated it. of course, i also caught it. but he was real feisty and actually bit me 3 times in the 1 week i had him.

9. AnnaBelle

AnnaBelle New Member

What about a king snake? I've heard they make good pets...

10. SpitItOut

SpitItOut New Member

lol this was posted back in january

11. dude412

dude412 New Member

sorry to ressurect and old post but i feel not ot be mean but all reptiles including snakes do not have emotion they lack the cerbreal cortex(sp) at the back of there brain they only act opn pure instinct there are a few expetions as with all things not trying to be mean but thats life.

12. tuttifrutti

tuttifrutti New Member

yeah, but some will be more readily handled and others will simply refuse it, or at least let you know that they don't appreciate it.