1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Sneezing Hamseter?

Discussion in 'All other pets' started by 3_second_memory, Sep 25, 2004.

1. 3_second_memory

3_second_memory New Member

My Hamster,Molly, keeps making this sqweeky noise almost as if she is consistently sneezing. she does it when i pick her up? has she got a cold, or is she getting to cold. i put a hotwater bottle under her cage at night.

Any feedback would be great. iv only had her since monday. thank you

2. SugarLovesPits

SugarLovesPits New Member

I was hoping i could email you but it's not listed have you taken the animal to the vet yet? If not please do small animals are prone to upper respritory infections witch can quickly move to pnemonia and prove fatal. If she's sneezing that is the number one indicator eventually mucus will come out of her nose. please get her looked at she needs antibiotics. :!:

3. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi sugarlovespits firstly you are correct saying that this person needs the hamster looked at by a vet, Yet you do not know wether she needs any meds at all so dont jump to conclusions please this can worry the owner.

3_second, There is a couple of things that could be causing your hamster to sneeze,
    1, Could be a cold which needs to be checked out and meds given if needed.
    2, Allergy to the woodshavings or to any fruit,vegtables or treats you may be giving her.
    3, Upper resperitory infection which could start off as a cold and also needs checking by a vet and meds given if needed.

What type of woodshavings you using?
    What material are you giving her for bedding?
    Does she get regular exercise?
    Is she in a room that is cold or has draughts?

Mike

4. 3_second_memory

thank you for your comments but unfortunatly, she died a week ago.

the cage i was sold had afault in the design, she got out, the cat found her and she died of a heart attack! :cry:

My parents baught me a new one, she is sweek, she sqweeks occationally, unlike molly who did it all the time. but this hamster, marble, bites at my nails and finger. nails more so now. could it be the nail varnish?

shes only just 8 weeks old i think. she was baguht at 6 weeks i think.

5. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi i am so sorry to hear about your loss..

The biting in the new hamster is like most animals they nibble to taste this is how they remember scent and the more you handle her the less she will bite.
    My gerbils used to bit all the time and for 1 week i constantly picked them up and let them nibble and run up and down my arms now when i put my hand in there tank they come straight to me and jump on my hand.

Good luck with the new hamster and hope she gives you years of fun and happy times.

Mike

6. 3_second_memory

Well, she really sinks her teeth in and draws blood, she wont let me pick her up alot of the time.

do you really think she will get better over time?

7. SugarLovesPits

SugarLovesPits New Member

Sorry to here about Molly also how old was the new one when you got her? Was she from a pet shop? If so csn you find out where they get their animals from? Just trying to figure this out!

8. 3_second_memory

she did come from a pet shop. my rents got her to replace molly. she came from Pets corner, but i dont know where they ge their stock, but my bf has a hamster from there, and she doesnt bite me or him, just pple she dont know.

well, she was little nder 8weeks i think when i got her
    i handled her alot last night, and everytime she tried to bite, i offered her loads of food, and she filled her pouches and then gave u wanting to bite.

she loves tomatoes. she also tried to eat a raw potatoe. can she have that?