1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Snowflake eels

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Brayden's dad, Aug 25, 2004.

1. Brayden's dad

Brayden's dad New Member

G'day all,

I am thinking of aquiring a Snowflake &/or a Zebra moray eel for my tank. My tank is a standard 4 sided thing, ie, no overflow, 72"long x 18"wide x 20" high.

I have previously had a 36" reef tank & do not really feel like outlaying multitudes of money again. I sold all my reef filtration & lighting with the tank a few years ago. All I have for filtration for a few goldfish at the moment is 2 off Whisper 3 & 1 off Whisper 2 power filters. Although I do have in storage 2 off wet/dry p/f's (cannot remember the brand name), each being roughly the same size as the Whisper 2.

I know virtually nothing of these creatures (apart from their well documented dentures & nocturnal feeding habits). CAN PEOPLE ON THIS BOARD PLEASE ENLIGHTEN ME?

I will be perfectly honest & say that I do not wish to go to the whole expense that was required for the reef tank (anyone who has had one will know what I mean). But, from the little that I have been able to find on the web, these eels are constantly described as both "hardy" & "easy" to keep - & this sounds like it is right up my alley. I realise there is some expense involved (improving my filtration for a start) but to what extent do I need to go? Metal Halides? Protein Skimmers? Actinic lighting? Chillers? etc?

I am not being stingy, I just do not want to purchase an animal only to then find out that it was more expensive than I was prepared for & then to subject it to a lifetime of "headaches". After all, it is not as if it could pop its head out of the tank & tell me that the lights were giving it a headache, or the water was too fresh, or the live rock was dying & leaving a bad taste in its mouth.

No. Much better to ask first. So I am asking people on this board, what do I need to do keep Snowflake eels & or Zebra moray eels happy?

Best regards,
    Troy.

2. Nameless

Nameless New Member

3. needlefish1

needlefish1 New Member

good site

4. kc5gvn

kc5gvn New Member

Hello Brayden's dad and welcome to Auspet, I looked over the main page of the site that Nameless posted and it has some pretty good information. The main problem keeping Moray's that I know of I did not find listed on that site. Moray's are notorious for getting out of the tank. They can get out from openings so small you would think it would be impossible for them to get out. As they get larger they can actually lift the glass tops so that you have to duct tape the glass canopy down. They are also extremely limited in their vision, only about as far as the end of their nose. So don't be surprised when they don't attack food that you put in the tank.

5. Brayden's dad

Brayden's dad New Member

Thanks guys. Much appreciated

Best regards,
    Troy.