1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

So.Cal/High Desert Area Going to aid pets from katrina

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by DeLaUK, Sep 9, 2005.

1. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

Hi, I know theres already been a couple of threads asking for assitance, someone who helped me out a few years ago with some wildlife rehabbing is getting ready to go out to the are next week and needs supplies to take with her (and money also), so I hope its okay that I put this in here.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

Hello to everyone,

I am a veterinary technician, certified in animal disaster management. I am also a wildlife rehabilitator, and have worked in these capacities for 20 years. I live in Apple Valley and direct a local animal rescue/welfare organization.

I will be leaving sometime next week to assist a larger organization (Best Friends Animal Society) in the hardest hit areas of hurricane Katrina with rescue, veterinary assistance, and housing for all species of animals displaced by this disaster.

I am asking a favor of those who love animals, and live locally in the High Desert.

Please consider contributing items or money to help us, so that we can help these animals. Below are a couple of links about the organization I direct, as well as a link to the organization I will be working with once I arrive in the Southeast.

For animal rescue workers, this is hard, dirty work in an area with no running water, electricity, or comfort whatsoever.

I may drive or I may fly, that decision has not been made yet. Vehicles are desperately needed, but the price of gas is most definitely a factor.

Either way, I'd like to be able to bring as much in the way of supplies with me as is possible, both for animals as well as animal rescue workers. Rescuers do not get paid for thier work, and must pay their own transportation costs. This is all done on a voluntary basis.

I plan on filling the largest sturdy cooler I can find with small items that travel well, so that after I arrive, it can then be used to keep medications refrigerated for the animals.

Everything from donations for protective gear, (chest waders, we have been advised not to get ANY standing water on ourselves due to a hepatitis outbreak) travel costs, gasoline, veterinary supplies and equipment, batteries, flashlights, MRE's and snacks for rescue workers, mosquito repellent, money to cover shipping costs etc. are DESPERATELY needed at this time. If we are able to purchase these items in bulk, we stretch every dollar further.

If you would like to help so that I can get there to provide much needed rescue and veterinary assistance as well as for the purchase of supplies that I can carry with me into the affected area, please do so. We are a non-profit organization and would greatly appreciate your help!
    Our URL is: http://tortoise-aid.org

If you would like to donate larger items, or you would like to know more about Best Friends, here is their URL.
    http://news.bestfriends.org/

I am proud of my community. I hope that together, we can make a positive impact for affected animals. They have no voice, and have become lost, injured and abandoned the middle of a heartwrenching disaster. Please feel free to pass this message on.

With Kindest regards,

A. M. Lancaster
    Director
    TortoiseAid International Inc.
    Apple Valley, CA USA
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    For a full list of items needed just go to this link (this is not another pet forum, just a local message board for the High desert....hope that is okay)
    http://www.highdeserthub.com/forum/view ... =4161#4161

Thanks.

Jackie (DeLaUK)