1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

some quick questions

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by Jacksmommy, Jun 22, 2004.

1. Jacksmommy

Jacksmommy New Member

Hello Everyone!

I have a 6 month old black Lab named Jack. He is soon to be neutered and will then begin obedience class. He LOVES meeting new people and dogs and he gets soooo excited that he is hard to control. I am afaid that this will be a problem in obedience class. Have any of you had a dog like that but did fine in a class with other dogs? Or should I find a personal trainer?

In the meantime, how do I teach him to leave it? He has his basic commands downpat and for a while he was really well behaved then all of the sudden he regressed and he steals anything and everything and I have to chase him and have a hard time catching him. He dosnt listen to leave it or drop it anymore. If any of you have some tips I would greatly appreciate it!!!

Thanks so much!
    Jacksmommy

2. 2pyrs

2pyrs New Member

He's still a baby. You are taking the first step by taking him to class. He well learn as you go just keep working with him and before you know it he well respond to you and learn what is right and wrong. I think one of the biggest down falls in training is when people leave class they seem to think they are done. I feel that when a dog steals it is because they want attention.The key is to keep training every minute of the day. You don't have to have them on leash to teach sit,come ect. When I call Riley I say come here and he knows he is to go to my side and sit. Did he learn this in one day, no weeks of work to get him to understand what I wanted. He had a bad habit of jumping up on people when they would come to see him. So I would pull him down and ask the person to tell him no and stop petting him. No love and he soon stopped jumping.
    As to drop it -well the way I did it was to get a tug toy and sit down to play with him. After a few tugs I would tell him to release by taking my hand and removing the toy and tell him no when he would try to take it back. His key word was ok when it was all right to take it back and play. Dinner time sit ,stay, no eating till I say it is time to and once more the key word was ok when he could eat. The hard one was teaching him to stop eating when I said stop. You don't want to do this one to much as he well feel as if he does not eat fast enough you well stop him before he gets done. CONTROL.....
    2pyrs

Is it a perfect world no,is there the perfect dog yes we each have one.

3. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Make sure that when he steals stuff, you are not rewarding him by running around after him waving your arms and yelling. They think this is a lovely game! I know you need to get whatever it is back from him - I was told to slowly stalk after the dog, calmly and purposefully, and keep a stern expression on your face. The dog eventually will start slinking along and then finally stop. Just be persistent. Never make a grab for him unless you are SURE you will get him.

Also, try to doggie-proof his environment more so there is less to steal while he is learning this lesson.

Jamiya

4. Dukesdad

Dukesdad New Member

Jacksmommy,
    Welcome to the wonderful world of Labs. A few words of advice from someone who has been well trained by a Lab.
    First. Do take Jack to obedience school then follow up with daily trainning sessions. He will do fine at school but as soon as you get home he will try to train you. To help control him at school I recommend one of those nose lead type collars that fits around his muzzle and around his neck. The lead is then attached to the muzzle and this will give you control without hurting him like those training chains.
    Second. Do not give in to that sad hang dog look he will give you when he wants his own way. Labs invented that look because they know we are all suckers.
    Third. Jack will act like a puppy for at least two more years, if not longer. An 80+ pound puppy is something to behold, especially in your lap.
    Forth, remember this saying from the late Louis Grizzard, "Labs are retreivers. They will bring you something to throw...and if you don't throw it...they eat it." Point is, Lab proof your home. You may have already discovered that they can, and often do, eat anything they find. In my case that included a plugged in electric alarm clock.
    Lastly,
    When I took my first Lab to obedience school many years ago the instructor just rolled her eyes and said OH no, another Lab. Turns out what she meant is a Lab will obey all of the commands while being taught but will bark at you the whole time to let you know that what he is doing is NOT his first choice. Once on the lie down command Jake started down slowly by stretching out his front paws, barking all the time. When it looked like he was down the teacher got on her hands and knees and looked under Jake. Sure enough he was keeping his tummy about an inch off the ground. The teacher shouted. Aha, I thought so. The whole class was in hysterics by then.
    Anyway, you have a wonderful and ever changing adventure in front of you so just enjoy.

5. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

The Gentle Leader is what Dukesdad was talking about. I bought one for my dog but she hated it so I gave it to my moms lab and he does GREAT on it.

Also, IMO and experience with Labs, they take a lot longer to mature than other dogs. My moms didn't mature until 4 yrs old and acted like a puppy up to that age. Some mature at 3 so it is important that you keep training a neccesity.

NEVER chase him to get something from them. This is teaching him bad manners because he thinks its a game, and could be a reason he keeps doing it now. He wants you to play and chase him.

Obedience class will help TONS as long as you keep it up at home. When he starts to lose focus or gets distracted with home training STOP immediately and perhaps try again a couple of minutes later. Neuturing him will also calm him down as well.

Enjoy puppy school!!

6. Maisey

Maisey New Member

You got great advice above but I thought I would toss this in. Two things I have learned.

1) to teach "leave it" put him on lead and place a toy or treat in the middle of the floor. Walk around the object/treat in a wide circle, when he tries to get it, use a leash correction and say "leave it", then reward with a higher value treat. Do this allowing him to get closer to the item, but make sure that you set him up for success, meaning don't allow him to get the item. At the end of the lesson...and you always want to end on a good note, let him have the treat by saying "Ok" or whatever your release word or phrase is.

2) teach him "look" or "watch". Walk him on lead again, at first with little or no distraction. When he looks away at something..say his name..."Witt, look" when he looks at you making eye contact, immediately give him a treat saying "Good boy!". Keep walking while you do this. Over time add distractions in. Start small and work up to more enticing distractions. This will teach him to focus on you and will be very useful in training classes, on walks, in new situations and in dangerous ones. When you go to class you will be a step ahead of the others...and you will be able to gain his attention and keep him under control.

You don't have to use treats, it can be toys or whatever his best motivator is...so long as it has value to him. Working with him daily on just these two excersises will put you ahead of the game when you go to class.
    Also, the others are correct, do not run after him when he has something. Use that opportunity to work on the down command. Chasing is the bestest game to a dog...try turning and running away from him excitedly chances are he will come running after you. Once you have a good down command you can simply say "Down" and he should drop so you can then take the item and give him something he can have.

7. Jacksmommy

Jacksmommy New Member

Thanks!

I just wanted to thank you guys for your suggestions! I keep my house pretty much puppy proofed but I have a 2 year old daughter who loves to make a mess so he steals alot of her toys. From this moment on I will not chase him to get our items back! He used to know the leave it command but I guess he just dosnt want to remeber it!! I do work with him everyday and plan to keep it up as well as obedience classes.

Thanks again for your suggestions!!

8. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

Ah, the selective hearing. I think it was one of gods greatest devices implemented into dogs, and small children. hehe

9. Sarge'smom

Sarge'smom New Member

Maisey- Thanks! I needed that too! Got anything for "stay"? I have a German Shepherd puppy who is really smart, really beautiful, really bull headed! He has learned come here, sit laydown, stay down, off the couch, no biting (that is hit or miss depending on what kind of day he has had and if he is in the mood!), and I used the Magic Touch training for most of it. EXCEPT for leave it, look or watch and STAY! Also, if you have one for "pick up your own shredded tennis ball" that would much appreciated!

10. honeybears

honeybears New Member

Brings back memories of Jake my angel yellow lab :mrgreen: .
    He was just awful, he loved the people and the dogs and went crazy in class. I couldnt control him, needless to say he flunked and had to go thru twice. and he still doesnt listen to me 6 years later.

you have gotten some good advice sorry I dont have any for you since I failed miserably in the training area.

good luck honeybear

11. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

When I need to get a stolen object back FAST I resort to bribery. This is not something to use all the time, or they will learn to steal something in order to get a treat. But when the dog has your child's favorite stuffed animal in his mouth and your child is shrieking hysterically, grab a handful of treats and call the dog and he should come over and drop the toy to get the treats.

Emergency Toy Rescue 101.

Jamiya

12. Sarge'smom

Sarge'smom New Member

I think it says Lab under ADD in the dictionary. At least for the first couple years. The wait is worth it though. they grow up to be the GREATEST dogs. Just hang in there and be consistent!

13. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

If lab is under ADD, then "Nala" is what is listed under ADHD. :)

Jamiya

14. Dukesdad

Dukesdad New Member

Jacksmommy,
    Forgot to tell you to learn to read his ears. Labs show their emotions through their ear position. They have a huge variety of ways they can fold those furry flaps. You will soon learn what he is saying to you. A few you can look for are:
    1. I'm so happy
    2. That's interesting, tell me more.
    3. I'm bored, go away.
    4. I don't feel so good.
    5. I'm guilty as charged.
    6. God you can be so exasperating at times.
    7. No way I'm going to do that.
    8. I understand what you want me to do but can we talke about it.
    9. Pleeeeeeeze
    10. I can't believe you said NO.
    :D

15. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

I am still chuckling over the alarm clock.

Jamiya

16. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

My experiances with labs are, Never get one until its already 10 years old!!!! he he he....

A friend of ours, has a lab,and I have to hand it to him. He's pretty well trained for a 2 year old, but never leave anything out! he'll eat it!!!

17. Sarge'smom

Sarge'smom New Member

Dukesdad- :lol: + :cry: = Me, laughing till I cry! You know, you really should write a book. It would be a scream! You could call it, Lab Zen or My Life As A Lab, or How to Succeed In Life Without Really Trying! Seriously, you have a wonderful way with words. I'd buy your book!

18. Dukesdad

Dukesdad New Member

Sarge'smom,
    I actually have several books in mind to work on a few years from now when I retire. I already have a fairly large set of Ogden Nash type nonsense poems tucked away as well as a long epic lyric fantasy/adventure poem that has many chapters and more to complete. Also a cookbook for beginers. My niece gave me that idea because when she got married she didn't know a frying pan from a sauce pan. I have that outline already worked out.
    As for Labs, they are a singular wealth of great material. I'm not kidding about those ears. If I could get photographs of all of those ears it would make not only a humorous book but also a very informative one.
    My best ear story concerns my old Lab Jake. His only true crime in life was to tear up bits of paper, tissues etc. that I would happen to leave within reach. When I would find a pile of torn paper on the floor I would call him over and ask "Who did this?" He would sit, squint his eyes, and curl those ears into a tiny roll flat back against his head as if to say "I did it." I never had a camera ready on these occasions so I decided to set him up once to try to get a shot of that reaction. I got my camera all set and ready then I tore up some paper and put it on the floor. Then, as usual, I called him over, camera in hand, and said, "Who did this?" Well Jake just took one sniff of the paper then walked AWAY. He was not about to take the rap for something he didn't do. True story.

19. Sarge'smom

Sarge'smom New Member

I love Ogden Nash. Flat back ear confessions are Sarge's speciality. And are a direct response to his love of shredding paper. I asked him yesterday from amid a flurry of shredded napkin if he thought he was a hamster.

20. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

LOL, hamster. Nala LOVES to shred paper, tissues, napkins, cardboard boxes, etc.

Jamiya