1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

sort of funny story

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by lil96, Apr 13, 2004.

1. lil96

lil96 New Member

I have an american eskimo spitz mix, Luther and my bf &I went away for the weekend his mother(my bfs) watched Luther for us. She loves him so much and totally spoils him and always gives him food and when she invites us for dinner expects the dog to come and feeds at the table, not on the floor he gets on the bench and eats along with us. One time we were away for 2 weeks and she watched him and I told my bf different rules, like on GRemilins, and I said especially don'T let him ever eat chocolate that is extremely dangerous so that was like Xmas time and last week we were over and she brought out a chocolate cake for dessert and said oh Luther just loves chocolate I made it especially for him, and she fed him chocolate candy and I tried to explain to her(she speaks a different language)this can kill him and she just laughs and then my bf tried explaining and she said well he hasn'T had any bad effects yet and it makes him happy to eat it? AnywayToday I went to pick him up and her newest treat for him is oatmeal mixed with curd she says he loves it and I should give that to him at least once a week? But none of that is the funny part that is just a littel description of how weird she can be. She decided to cut my dogs hair off because it was too long and always getting dirty! At least that is what I understood her to say, but it makes me remember my mom telling a story of my brother and my grandmother along the same lines!

2. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

I'm kind of thinking I would find someone else to watch the dog when you are gone. I know it's probably a touchy situation since it's your bf's mother, but it's important. Some dogs react VERY badly to chocolate. Others can react badly the second time they are given it....or the third....see what I mean?

I won't leave my children or my pets with anyone who does not respect my rules for them (whether they agree with the rules or not) and who do not place the same importance on the animals as I do.

We have a heck of a time when we go out of town finding someone to care for our mice. Most people have the attitude of "it's just a mouse" and if something were to happen to one of them they would just shrug and go on. Our bedroom doors HAVE to remain closed or the cats will knock the mouse cages over and chase the mice. Ever try finding a MOUSE in a 4-bedroom house? Not fun.

Jamiya

3. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

That is no good at all. Chocolate cake. YIKES!! Probably a good thing if you find someone else to watch the dog when you go away. It may be a touchy subjet, but it will be more touchy if you come home from vacation and your dog is dead due to something that was totally preventable.

I have not had a vacation in a year, and don't know if I will go this year. I don't know anyone that can watch Harley without me going crazy worrying the whole time. my bf's parents love her to pieces, but Curts' dad is allergic to dogs so she can't go in the house. We just stay with her in the yard when we're over there.

*sigh* maybe next year we'll plan seperate vacations so one of us will be home to watch the pooch. :wink:

4. lil96

lil96 New Member

The reason why she watches him

I just moved to a foreign country and I don'T know anyone here and don'T know a good vet or keenel. And I have had my share of realy bad kennels and with friends watching them. So for right now she is my only choice? :cry: And also I can't have a hob right now(as a foreign person) so I have no income and my bf is getting his Phd right now(so he works for free almost)But one thing about the chocolate I remeber as kids feeding my dog chocolate, and I have had the conversation with other adult friends of mine too. But my dogs lived to be 16 &17 yrs old. But ok they could just not have a reaaction. I totally agree it is bad to feed the dog chocolate. But with my first dog I followed every single rule, and she got really sick and died from liver problems, but my parents dogs who could eat anything were always very healthy until they day they died(they both died on the same day). But I would never feed my dog chocolate, anyway I am babaling now. So what are the actual side effects of chocolate and what is it in the chocolate that cause the reaction. Because I have heard that only certain chocolates are bad(I always forget which ones, so I stay away from them all!) Is that true? Sorry for rambling on. But I really have no choice in sending him there

5. goob

goob New Member

6. goob

goob New Member

Also, white chocolate has no real cocoa in it, therefore no theobromine, and is relatively safe for dogs to eat, though loaded with sugar, so still not healthy.

7. lil96

lil96 New Member

Thank you!

Thank you!

8. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

Why not see if there are some dog parks around. If there are go often and hook up with a dog lover that can help out if needed. You can do the same for them too. Ask different pet owners how they like their vets. What country are you in?

9. ilovemaltipoos

ilovemaltipoos New Member

Thanks for the info on chocolate .I had not done any research on why it was bad ,but knew it was . :D

10. lil96

lil96 New Member

I am in Germany and I only speak a little German :cry: So it is difficult for me to talk to people. Most people here do speak some english though, but I still get very nervous. I haven'T really seen any dog parks here, but people just always have there dogs withthem