1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Spade puppy stitches - burst open?

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by marissakUF, May 26, 2004.

1. marissakUF

marissakUF New Member

Hi,

A friend adopted a 10 wk old rottie/aussie mix from a shelter three days ago, already spade. I'm caring for the puppy for two days while my friend is out of town (reservations couldn't be broken).

I'm concerned that her incision from the surgery is open. The opening is about half an inch long. It is not actively bleeding and does not appear infected. What should I do?

Thanks for any help,
    marissa

2. ILoveGreatDanes

ILoveGreatDanes New Member

Don't panic...just get her to the vet and they can put the stitches back in. Make sure to keep her out of dirt and dont let anything get into the wound so it wont become infected. It shouldnt be a problem but ask for one of thsoe cone collars (ecollar) so she cant pick the stiches out again. She'll be fine but she does need to have the wound stitched up again if it is open.

3. marissakUF

marissakUF New Member

Thanks for your quick reply!

I just called my friend. She said she had noticed the same thing, and took the puppy back in to PETSmart (where she was adopted). They told her that it was fine.

But to me, it doesn't look fine, and the puppy keeps licking at them. It's like one side of the incision is popped out further than the other side. So you can see the pink from the inside of the side that's popped out. I hope this makes sense.

I don't want to worry my friend. Should I take the puppy back to PETSmart, or to the vet that I use? Or should I just wait until my friend gets back tomorrow?

Thanks again,
    marissa

4. honeybears

honeybears New Member

how long ago ws the spay done? And get a collar so she doenst lick herself. It could be it justs looks open from the outside but it probably opened and then kind of healed itself from the inside so it looks open. I actually did this to myself just after I had surgery on my foot. they also may just want to put a butterfuly bandage on it .

honeybear

5. 4Dogsihave

4Dogsihave New Member

I would go ahead and take her to your vet. It probly is what honeybear described but someone should have a look at it.

6. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

take him to your vet. I am sure your friend will be happy to reimburse you when she gets back.

As for PetSmart, I wouldn't go back to them. Seems to me if they cared even slightly they would at least want to look to make sure everything was okay.

Better safe than sorry. Your vet can give you the cone for the dog about $12 is what I paid for Harley. When she was with me I just kept a t-shirt on her but if I wasn't watching her, the cone went on.

7. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi Sorry just one question why was the poor thing put through this operation so early to start with.
    I dont get this spay early and it reduces all chances of cancers and tumours.
    THe risk factor i understand but please at 10weeks old she is still only a baby i would not spay or neuter any animal before they are 4-6months old this gives there bodies time to mature.

I know all vets are different and all owners are different too but 10weeks old is a little to young to be doing it.

My opinion no offence to anyone.

I would agree with everyone else and just pop along to the vets and have the stitches replace and get a cone collar be forwarned animals hate them but its better them wearing them to help stop them chewing out stitches and infecting the wound.

mike

8. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

I don't agree with Mike. Early spay/neuter is actually easier on the pup. The surgery is faster and the pup bleeds less and recovers more quickly. As he said, though, everyone has a different idea about the "proper" time to spay/neuter, vets included. Nala was spayed at 12-14 weeks (we aren't entirely sure of her age) and the day after it was done you would not have known if she didn't have the scar to prove it.

I don't think the problems your friend's pup is experiencing has anything to do with her age. I would agree about getting a vet to look at it now - it may be nothing, but you definitely want to get it taken care of before it becomes a problem.

Jamiya

9. ILoveGreatDanes

ILoveGreatDanes New Member

I personally think you can take it to whichever vet is convenient...its not an expensive "surgery" at all that needs to be performed. Theyre simply gonna staple it back together. I had a dog do this and it cost me something like 20 dollars. Plus the 50 dollar emergency fee because I freaked out and had it done in the middle of the night right when it happened =D

10. Hi there! Now you're the kind of dog sitter that everyone would want :y_the_best: Let us know how the pup is doing!

Susan

11. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

Yeah you can watch mine any time. Take him to your vet. My sister poodle pulled out staples and to me I could visiably see it should not look like that. The vet put some antibiotic power inside and restapled it. Put that cone on and don't let him lick at it. It has to stay dry.

12. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

Definatly take her to your vet. SOmetimes those vets at Petsmart and such just don't want to jack with it. Knowing that its Postop and they can't charge for it.