1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Spending time outside before fully vaccinated

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by Valentina, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Valentina

Valentina New Member

Does anyone know how much time a puppy can spend outside before it is fully vaccinated? My 12 week old has had 2 vaccinations so far and she loves to be in the backyard. I wanted to start taking her for walks and I also wanted to start training classes.

2. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

To be on the safe side I would say dont take your pup outside until all the vax are complete, I dont know what area you are in, some places are rife with parvo and distemper and it really isnt worth the risk.
    Most training classes that I know of wont accept pups until the vax are complete either.
    As to how much time outside, it only takes a second to pick parvo up on their feet, you can carry it into the house on your shoes without realizing it. Its highly contagious.
    Then again the area that I live in now rarely ever has a case of parvo or distemper.
    Its only 5 weeks away till the vax are finished.

3. Valentina

Valentina New Member

The lady at PetSmart said she could start training classes because she has had two. I called my vet and they said no way.

How do you find out if you area has a lot of parvo and distemper cases?

Thanks for your help. Of course, now I am going to be paranoid -- I sure wish the vet would have told me not to have her outside. Of course, she has to do her business in the backyard, but I didn't have to let her in the front yard! Or go for a walk to meet the neighbors. I feel like an idiot!

4. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

If your back yard is not accessable to other animals, you can bring her there. Start putting a leash on her and teaching her to walk with it. Bring out a treat bag, start with sitting and laydown, stay. You can start her trainging now in your yard. If you have to bring her anywhere, carry her and try not to let people touch her. Their hands have been everywhere too. It best to do this. To be safe.

5. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

Sorry Valentina, I didnt mean to worry you. I totally agree with Puttin510 on getting the training started at home, and carrying the pup around. I think if there was any diseases in your own back yard you would have known by now, but its good to take precautions outside. I would think that your vet or any local vet might be able to give you an idea of how bad or good the area is for infectious diseases. All the areas Ive worked in as a tech, you get an idea of the area by how many cases come in. Are there a lot of dogs running lose on the streets?
    Keep in mind that of all the thousands of puppies, most of them get through puppyhood healthy and happy.

6. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

By the way, you are not any idiot, an idiot would not be seeking out ways to keep their pup safe.

7. Valentina

Valentina New Member

No, we don't have dogs running the streets, but we do have coyotes. I haven't seen one in my backyard, but I have seen one in the front yard once.

Can any dog pass on the virus, or just one that hasn't been vaccinated?

We actually have been training her with a leash and she is doing really well.

Thanks so much for the information!

8. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

I'd say any animal that may have walked thru feces that is infected with parvo can transmit the virus. If one were to walk thru your yard with it on its feet or layed in it. Then your pup walk thru the same area. It is possible. Some dogs like to roll in other dogs feces. I would maybe make a makeshift gated area that nothing can get into.

9. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

Most dogs wont survive it without treatment although I know of some that have had a mild dose and made it and otheres that do well with intensive 'home care'. Once a dog has had it and recovered it is still spreading the virus in the feces for up to a month. One of the problems is the virus can live in the ground (grass, dirt, soil) for 5 years (Ive seen recent reports that say longer). Generally we see a lot more of it around March or April (in this area) after theres been a lot of rain then it dwindles off a bit but it is an all year round disease.
    Ive also know of litters of puppies that have become infected, you might get 2 that are really sick, a couple that have mild symptoms and the rest seem to just 'shake it off' after a day or so, the severity can depend on the general health of the pup and its own immune system.....Kind of like a whole family of humans coming down with flu, 1 may be okay, another not feeling good for a few days and another laid up in bed for a week.

And again I second what Puttin said, your definitely not an idiot and as my mum always said....the smart people are the ones who ask the questions.

10. Valentina

Valentina New Member

Thanks for all the info. I'm such a worry wart first time puppy mommy! I will feel better after she gets her last set of shots!

One thing I am still not clear on - Does the infected poop only come from a dog that has not been vaccinated or can a vaccinated dog pass it on? Do coyotes get it?

11. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

I would think that since coyotes are in the canine family, they probably could. They could walking stuff into your yard too. An unvacinated dog can pass it on thru its feces and a vacinated one could walk thru it. This if hes walking in your yard could leave remnants of it. I would have a chat with your vet, to make you feel better, and find out what is going on in your area.

12. Shineillusion

Shineillusion New Member

The infected poo comes from an infected animal. If they don't have the virus, they aren't passing it out in their poo. But like already mentioned, the virus will be shed in the poo even after the dog has recovered, for about a month. There are also some animals that are carriers without ever getting sick themselves.

It's also possible for raccoons to transmit distemper to dogs, if the local population of raccoons is infected with the canine variety of the disease. Ditto for coyotes. Raccoons are less likely to visit your back yard if there is nothing there for them to eat. If you keep your garbage can in the back yard, you might see if it's possible to relocate it. In any case, keep it tightly covered.

All in all, I wouldn't be overly paranoid. Your puppy has already had two vaccinations, and will soon get the final dose. Avoid obvious situations, like public places dogs frequently visit, and you'll probably have no problems. And take your vets advice over advice given by pet store employees. Most pet store employees have had little if any training in medical issues.