1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Split nail

Discussion in 'Dogs - Pit bull breeds specific' started by Angie, Aug 20, 2004.

1. Angie

Angie New Member

Shianne split her nail :cry:
    I noticed her licking and licking her paw, so I checked it out and the top half, tip of one of her nails was split and sticking upward. It wasnt bleeding. I touched it to see if it was loose and it wasnt. So, I clipped the tip of it off so that it wasnt sticking up so much.
    I plan on taking her to the vet today so that they can clip/file or do whatever they have to do.
    I think it is hurting her because she is acting very different.
    I think she might be scared of me now bc of the clippers. It couldnt have hurt her because I only clipped the very tip of the piece that was sticking up.
    So, I guess she is just scared of it. She doesnt want to come in my room anymore, instead, she goes lay in her kennel.
    :(

What do ya'll think the vet will do??

2. Angie

Angie New Member

I guess nobody knows!?

I got home from work today and Shianne seems like she is back to her good ol' self again!
    Back to being overly hyper and goofy!
    So, I called the vet and told them everything and he said she should be fine if there is no bleeding, the nail will just grow out. But if she keeps acting different then to bring her in. He said she might have just been scared of the clippers. She didnt eat her food yesterday. She usually eats it at night. So, if she doesnt eat tonight, then I am going to take her in tomorrow.

3. honeybears

honeybears New Member

Angie, if it isnt bleeding and you cut it , she should be fine. Wylie did that last year, but split the entire nail in half and blood everywhere, so she did have to go to the vet, and had it bandaged, I did take her in again when she split another nail, no blood or anything and they just clipped it short. so $$ for nothing on that one.

honeybear

4. Angie

Angie New Member

Thank you very much, honeybears! Shianne is feeling much better! :D

5. goob

goob New Member

You can also use super glue to hold a split nail together, but you have to make absolutely sure to check for any debris, and clean the nail well before doing so. Obviously you wouldn't want to use it for a bad split, but for small cracks that aren't bleeding, or only a bit, and just need to grow out, it can be a good way to keep the nail from catching and splitting worse.

6. True_Pits

True_Pits New Member

I just noticed lastnite my males nail is damaged. he was holding his foot up, it didn't bother him before or after he just went on normal. But when he was holding it up I checked it out and his nail is short, the side of the nail is chipped away. Not sure how it happened?

7. Angie

Angie New Member

Thanks Goob...
    I really don't want to put anything in it. Its not bleeding but it split kinda far in. How could I bend/ hold the nail together to glue it? Its not lose or anything, its stiff. She licks it and keeps it clean. Should I clean it with anything specific?

8. goob

goob New Member

As long as you trimmed it back to about normal shape, I wouldn't worry too much about holding it together in your girl's cae, as bending the nail back to shape would probably do more harm than good. You might try soaking it in epsom salt water once a day or so for a few days, if there was damage to the actual fleshy part of her nail, it'll help it heal faster. Other than that, just let her lick it and watch to be sure she doesn't damage it further.

9. Angie

Angie New Member

Ok. I'll have to go the the store tomorrow and buy some epsom salt. I think the only problem I would have is getting her to sit still lol.

10. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

This post is late, but that happened to Harley last winter. Only hers were really bad. The vet had to knock her out for a bit because I think they have to burn it closed (she wouldn't stop bleeding). You can also make a paste out of baking powder and water and aply with a cloth. It coats the nail.

Glad she is feeling better!