1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

STALLION HELP

Discussion in 'Horses - all breeds / types' started by sissysuresure, Jun 24, 2004.

1. sissysuresure

sissysuresure New Member

i have a three year old ARABIAN STALLION (what a combo.) average height and a mess to handle. he is so out of control. first off he is well, a typical stallion, but how can i teach him if he's constantly trying to show the ladies across the arena what he's got to offer? he is always distracted by his surroundings, even if there isn't any other horses around. not to mention he turns on you in an instant. one minute he'll be letting you love him up and the next he's ready to bite your ear off, because you reprimanded him for trying to eat your brush! before me he was very mistreated and i'm finding it very difficult to gain his trust. i will be gelding him w/ in the next couple months, and i was just wondering generally how well former stallions take to heel from their little gelding procedure. he's already extremly tender under his belly and even if my hand is touching his belly he freaks out, i'm guessing that his former owner did damage their. how much calmer should he be after he is gelded (he has never been bred)?
    thanxs
    chriss

2. horse_child

horse_child New Member

Hi,
    Well, I suggest you get him gelded ASAP!!! Even though he will be gelded, chances are he'll make still act like a stud somewhat. What I suggest, in the mean time) to demand his respect in the round pen. Catch him and put him in there. take a whip and run him. get his attention focused on you. Do this by running him until he sees that you are the only one that is going to do anything for him. Don't have him on a line, just drive him with the whip. If he turns his butt to you in the round pen, hit him on the butt with the end of the whip as hard as you can. Your not going to be able to hurt him with it. When his ear is focused on you, ask him to stop. You would do this by stepping away from him to the other end of the round pen. Hopefully he'll stop. Wait a few seconds then take another step back. If he turns his head to you drop the whip and praise him. If he turns his butt to you, drive him on. Repeat this until he turns his head to you 3-5 times in a row. Then drop the whip, praise him and turn and walk away form the whip. what your trying to get him to do is to follow you and chew, and like his lips. i have a proud cut gelding and he acts alot like a stud, i do this with him and the results are amazing. The big thing is to be patient and be consistent. good luck!!!

3. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

Since stallions have a high level of testosterone, and you mentioned he's been abused. Theres a good chance your going to have your hands full for quite some time. get him gelded. Healing usually takes a minimum of 2 weeks. He will need lots of exersize, generally walking. The sheath will try and collect fluid causing swelling, and that can be a bad thing. The walking and exersize will help eliviate this problem

What kind of lead are you using and halter? Get a stud chain. You can insurt this through one sid, your leading side, across the nose through the other and attach it by his ring at the top of the halter. When he misbehaves, you can pop the chain and you will get immediate responses. Stallions can be VERY dangerous, no matter what size.

There are calming treats you can give him and pastes. They can help with the riding axiety issues your facing. He's just a very misbehaved boy and you need to regain control.