1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Started treating my Oscar

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Pacuguy, May 25, 2004.

1. Pacuguy

Pacuguy New Member

well i just dropped 140$ at the LFS on meds and food.
    i moved her to my 10 gal hospital tank, Im going to follow your directions T-Chelle.
    The only difference im gonna do is i could not find HBH Oscar Show, so im using HBH Super Cichlid Floaters, they have the same vitamins so i think it will be alright.
    i will document her progress with pics as it gets better.

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Sounds good. Just really watch those nitrAtes. They'll build up pretty quickly in a 10 gallon.

I currenty have my 10" (SL) oscar in a 20 gallon hospital tank. He's been in there for 5 days with very minimal food and the nitrAtes are already at 20.

-Chelle

3. Pacuguy

Pacuguy New Member

should i change some water everyday?
    the instructions says to da a 25% change after a week.
    if i change it before a week will it decrease the effect of the meds?

4. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

It's kind of a catch 22. Doing frequent water changes will decrease the effectiveness of the meds but at the same time if you don't do water changes and the nitrAtes get high the HITH won't heal.

I would just monitor the ntirAtes for the first week and see how long it takes them to get over 20ppm. If you can keep them under control with 25% weekly water changes, that's great. If not, I'd probably look into a large storage bin (maybe 20 - 30 gallons) and use that as a temporary hospital tank. It won't look pretty, but it will be a cheap way of providing a larger hospital tank.

-Chelle

5. Pacuguy

Pacuguy New Member

OH NO!!!!!!!!

This morning when i was in the shower i thought i heard the dog doing somthing but wasnt sure(shes always up to no good)
    when i got out of the bathroom 15 mins later, there was my oscar ON THE FLOOR, not moving or breathing and she was dry to the touch! she jumped out of the hospital tank!
    I scooped her up and put her back in. she sank to the bottom. i had to leave for work.
    I figured for sure she was doomed!
    when i came home she is slowly swimimng around, now shes not doing too bad i hope she will be alright.

I still dont know how she jumped out, the lid on the tank is very tough for ME to open. i guess if a 15inch Oscar wants out of the tank theres no way to stop her!

P.S. it appears the HITH sores are shrinking.
    i will post some pics shortly once i know she is going to recover from her fall.

6. ceveretts

ceveretts New Member

Strange that it happened to both of us this morning!!! I'm so glad that you got yours in time! Apparently mine was still in the tank this morning at 6:30 am when my roomate was up( I got up around 9:30 and it was too late)! I asked if the lid was closed and he said yes, so at least I know it wasn't my own negligence. It is quite odd that we should both have it happen around the same time! :shock: :? :shock:

7. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

At least she's okay and the HITH is getting better. You may want to duct tape or velcro the lid closed.

I've heard of someone's oscar jumping and laying on the floor for a couple hours. By the time they found it, the fish was dry and they assumed it was dead. When they went to pick it up, half the scales stuck to the floor but the fish started twitching so they put it back in the tank and it ended up recovering.

-Chelle