1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

starting 10 gallon planted tank

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Fish Addict, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

hey what would be the best for lighting
    i have tried this once before and it didn't work out to well
    thanks for you help

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

In my 10 gallon, I have 2 10w mini compact fluorescent bulbs (the ones that screw into regular incandescent sockets). My plants are doing fine, but I still think it's a little on the low side so I'm eventually going to either replace one of the 10's with a 20 (for a total of 30w) or completely redo the lighting and go with either a VHO fluorescent or a larger compact flourescent. But my overall goal for lighting is around 30w.

And FWIW, I keep low light plants and don't use CO2.

-Chelle

3. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

is cycling the same

4. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

oh and can you tell me some good low light plants

5. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Yes, I believe cycling should be the same. You could always take some filter medie from one of your other thanks and that should instantly cycle it. That's what I did with my 5 gallon.

For low light plants, I have:
    Java fern (comes in lace & regular)
    Java moss
    Wendtii (comes in red, bronze, and green)
    Amazon sword (it actually gets a little large for a 10 gallon, but I keep mine clipped back)
    Aponogetons (not sure shat species I have, I just got the package of bulbs and they seem to be doing just fine).

I don't have any, but anubias nana is also supposed to be a good low light plant.

You can also browse through here:
    http://www.aquariumplants.com/cgi-bin/cart/scan/fi=products . . .

-Chelle

6. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

cool thanks