1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Sterilization by Injection

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by Dukesdad, Jun 9, 2004.

1. Dukesdad

Dukesdad New Member

While surfing TV channels yesterday I caught the tail end of a story about a new chemical sterilization proceedure by injection for animals that will possibly replace the surgery now required. Did anyone else see this story or have any information? I have searched the internet but I can't find any information.
    If this is a tested and otherwise harmless procedure then it will really go a long way in reducing unwanted animal populations.

2. GinaH

GinaH New Member

That would be great! There would be less risk of complications due to surgery and anesthesia. And you are right it would help greatly with reducing overpopulation. I haven't heard anything about it, but it would be terrific. :y_the_best:

3. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

It sounds great....but anything you can inject into my pet that would render them permanently sterile would set off alarm bells in my head. I can't imagine how that can be "otherwise harmless". Once again, this could be a case of "no SHORT TERM consequences" when there are very definite long term problems that probably never get associated with the cause.

BUT I can also see where it would be useful if it helps in reducing overpopulation and other problems associated with indiscriminate breeding. Better than nothing, in that case.

Jamiya

4. someday

someday New Member

5. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Sounds interesting! It's only for male dogs. Also, it doesn't carry the other benefits of castration surgery:

It may be a cheaper way to sterilize shelter dogs - but do you think the possible behavior problems with intact males would land a lot of the dogs right back in the shelter? Although it says "may not" in the article, which means they don't really know yet.

Jamiya

6. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi sounds to me like they are trying to use the human female version of the pill injection that women can get to stop them from concieving after they have a baby it is also available in a stronger dose as a contraception only downside my sisters say it has is it makes ppl gain weight.

I dont think i would like to be giving my dogs injections for things like that think i would prefer to stick with the old spaying and castration lol

just my views Hope everyone is doing ok and your furbabies too.

mike

7. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

they've been neutering dogs for how many years? And it's always worked...I'd rather have it done once than have to give multiple injections.

I wish I remembered where I read this but I read this product works best in young dogs that it may not be as effective as the dog matures. I'll see if I can find that (or remember where I read it)

8. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Is it multiple injections or a one-time-only thing?

Jamiya