1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Strange Betta Disease- Bulbs on tail tips

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Tingababoo, Jan 8, 2005.

1. Tingababoo

Tingababoo New Member

Photos:

http://www.crashedweb.com/Betta/bulb.JPG
    http://www.crashedweb.com/Betta/bulb1.JPG
    http://www.crashedweb.com/Betta/bulb2.JPG
    http://www.crashedweb.com/Betta/bulb3.JPG

I've had my Betta since March. He swims in a 2.5 gallon fish tank.

There is no filter at the tank.
    I have a 25w submersible and it keeps the water at a steady 78 degrees, now upped to about 83 to help rid the Ich (if it is Ich).

Water changes: 1-2x week
    I do a partial 10-20% water change 1-2 times a week and a 90% water change once a month.

No plants, just a few smooth stones in the corner where he likes to sit.

I feed him Hikari Pellets, 3x a day 2 pellets each time.

Ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels: Do not currently test for these

Healthy Appetite, no rubbing against anything, darts occasionally- always has. Swims fine. Poop regular. Colors fine. No clamped fins.

Current Condition: Small white bulbs at tips of bottom fins. White salt like surrounded by clear material. None of rest of body or tail, only tips of edges. No symptoms other than what I see physically.

I did 95% water change. He is currently in about 1.5 gallons, I did not want to add too much new water to cause him more stress. Adding more gradually. I did not see your answer until after I added salt. I added < 1/8 tsp is salt to the 1/5G water. My betta has never been introduced to salt since I had him. He seems to be fine with it. Beginning 1/5/05 I added 2 drops of Maracide. The instructions on the back say 2 capfuls per 10 gallons on days 1, 3, 5. I was told to add 1 drop/Gallon daily for 14 days. What do you advise? And I wonder if I should still change some of the water as I medicate- will the concentration be too much?

I do not believe this is Ich. Any ideas? Thank You

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Since the tank isn't filtered, there shouldn't be any nitrIte or nitrAte, but you should definitely get a test for ammonia and probably pH.

It looks like the beginnings of fin rot. It's a bacterial infection that is generally caused by poor water quality or sudden chagnes in pH or temperature (basically when the fish becomes stressed and gets a weakened immune system).

So it would help if you tested for ammonia, and also test the pH of the tank and out of the tap. And maybe also take a cup of tap water, let it set out for 24 hours and test it too. If there's a change in the pH, you need to see if it's something in the tank changing it or if it's just the water itself.

I would stop using the salt since I don't see any signs of ich. I would also stop using the Maracide because again, I see no signs of ich. Instead, get some Maracyn-Two. It's a good antibiotic for treating fin rot. And when you're treating, go ahead and do water changes. You're going to be adding meds every day anyway so the water changes shouldn't hurt anything.

-Chelle

3. Tingababoo

Tingababoo New Member

What is the difference between Maracyn 1 and 2? I just purchased Maracyn (no #) at the petstore. They advised me it may be a fungus like you said. I did not see Maracyn 2. I have a 2.5 gallon so I would have to dissolve the tablet and split the solution accordingly correct? I also just bought dechlorinator (can i use this with medication) and a pH tester in the tube (are the trips better?) Thank you for your help!

4. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Maracyn & M2 are for different types of bacteria. Maracyn is for gram-positive bacteria while M2 is for gram-negative bacteria such as flexibacter which is the cause of fin rot. Other alternatives for treating the fin rot would be tetracycline or kanacyn/kanamycine.

When I treat a small tank with tablet, I generally just crush the tablet into a powder then divide it up from there. I keep the extra in a ziploc bag and write on the bat how much of the tablet is left so I know how to divide it for the next treatment. If you dissolve it in water first it will lose its effectiveness over time. So by the time you get to the 2nd dosage of the stuff you mixed with the water, it won't be as potent.

Have you been using dechlorinator all along? Or are you just now going to start using it? If you have chlorine or chloramine (most cities & towns do), then yes, you definitely need to be using a dechlorinator. It shouldn't interact with the meds.

And the liquid tests are definitely more accurate & reliable than the strips.

-Chelle

5. Tingababoo

Tingababoo New Member

Medication to treat fungus

Is Maracyn1 ok? some people have suggested Maracyn2 or Maroxy instead. What do you think by looking at the photos? Thank you!

6. Tingababoo

Tingababoo New Member

Jungle Fungus Clear Meds

Has anyone ever used Jungle Fungus Clear?

7. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I don't think it's a true fungus so Maroxy probably won't work. I also don't think Maracyn would work since it's for a different type of bacteria.

I have read about Jungle Fungus Cure being recommended, but I've never used it (I don't particularly like Jungle products). But I just checked the ingredients and it does list 2 antibiotics (and at least one of them treats gram negative bacteria) so you could go ahead and try it.

-Chelle