1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Success!!

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by Jules, Jul 14, 2004.

1. Jules

Jules New Member

Bender is OVER his fear of the car! Just thought I'd share my victory!!!! Bender had a terrible fear of the car...
    He used to shake and drool in the car- and sometimes even throw up. But after ALOT of work, he got in the car the other day quickly and WITHOUT food. He sits down and the other day I caught him WAGGING HIS TAIL IN THE CAR!!!! I am so happy. I now can relax when I am driving knowing that he is not stressed. He even gets in when my other dog is in there already, and she annoys him so much! I can't belive it, I never thought he'd get there. I am now taking him in the car to many places, because it's so easy to get him in now. Before it was a half hour procedure!!
    So it is possible to get your dog over a fear! It has only taken about 6 months!!
    Yay for Bender:eek:

2. nern

nern New Member

Good job!! Yay Bender!! :eek:

3. honeybears

honeybears New Member

yay :eek: :eek: :eek: good job, it just takes a lot of time and effort

honeybear

4. loves-da-pits

loves-da-pits New Member

Jules: You give me hope. Reese does the same when he gets into a vehicle. Shakes like a leaf and drools long ol slobbers. Usually followed up with throwing up. :cry:

So, treats were your method? I tried it, but he just throws them up. I was thinking about short trips to the Dairy Queen for ice cream.

But when I picked him up from the Doggie Dude Ranch last week, he jumped into the truck like it was his best friend because he knew he was going home.

5. honeybears

honeybears New Member

sharon, try feeding reese in teh cr but do not go anywhere, just keep feedng his meal, hwich is probably hard when yo liv ein phoenix! then start tehc ar and let it run and feed him, for several days and then dont feed him and just go around the block baby steps

honeybear

6. loves-da-pits

loves-da-pits New Member

honeybears: I've tried feeding him treats while sitting still in the truck, but he's not interested. He's too busy drooling and shaking. I give him a treat after we arrive to where we're going so he knows I'm not mad at him for being scared.

I just have to find a way for him to enjoy the ride instead of dread it.

7. Jules

Jules New Member

Oh I honestly feel for you Sharon!!!
    This is how I did it. Bender wasn't interested in treats at the start either, he was too preoccupied with being scared I think. I started off feeding him his actual meals in the car. Putting his bowl in the car and he'd have to get in if he wanted to be fed. Try leaving the door open if he wont get in, he'll probably get in eventually. Honeybear is right.. babysteps. But it's kind of hard when you really need to take the dog somewhere- you just have to jump straight in. Do not worry about this so much.
    Then I'd start up the car and feed him in it. Do that for a while then start slowly reversing and driving for example in your driveway. Let him out and give him heaps of praise. Another thing we did was open both doors and played fetch through the car. He realised it wasn't such a trap getting in the car... he could just jump straight through. This was also followed with heaps of praise. Sometimes I'd have the car in the backyard and have the door open and sit in it. He'd eventually get in to be with me, and I'd sit there and pat him... then let him get out. Always treat and give relaxing long strokes when he's in there. Don't yell at him in the car if he does something bad- that'll probably make it worse. We also found that Bender prefered to get in by himself, if we lifted him in ('forced' him) he would revert back to being fearful again. If your dog jumped in the car the other day by himself this is a good sign! Take your dog on short trips to fun places. It takes alot of time and patience.
    Bender actually got better after all this AND after we went on a long car trip. The car trip was about 3 hours, and I was a bit worried about how he would go. He got bored of sitting up and actually lied down after a while. It was mainly straight roads so there was no falling around in the back. I think this trip helped a great deal. It's also important you try not to be nervous for your dogs sake- they can pick up on your tension. Just keep your breathing normal and act normal. Try to do some interaction with him and the car everyday. You only need 5-10 minutes. After he seems to be better keep at it otherwise they can revert back again. Good Luck!!!

8. Jody

Jody New Member

Yay, Onya Bender!

9. GinaH

GinaH New Member

WTG Jules & Bender! :0020:

10. lil96

lil96 New Member

Bender must have past it on to Luther, because now lately Luther is terrified of the car!

11. Sarge'smom

Sarge'smom New Member

Sarge loves the car. He cannot wait to go "bye-bye". He cries and paws at the door if one of us leaves in the car and don't take him with! My husband was worried when we first got him that he wouldn't like going in the car, but so far so good! He always said "If you took me for a ride in the car and they messed with MY manhood, I might develop a profound fear of car rides too!".

12. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

Oh man, I'm glad I don'thave this problem. I just put the tailgate down and say load up! They both hop in, Sit down and let me attach the truck safety harness to their harnesses. THen its off to where ever we're going!! But since Char is pregnant. We don't go anywhere much unless its to the vet.....

Smokey on the otherhand, goes everywhere!

13. kindness_001

kindness_001 New Member

yea bender... BOBO loves to go, If i go and get my shoes he's right there jumping up and down like a yoyo. he will even bark at me if he thinks i should take him with me.