1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Such a thing as a False Heat?

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by GinaH, Jun 8, 2004.

1. GinaH

GinaH New Member

OK so I have an interesting question. My neighbors had their 2 year old lab female spayed and now just 2 weeks later she has started to swell and bleed as if she were in heat. Is it possible for a dog to have a false heat?
    I have never heard of this happening. My neighbor just came over and asked me about it this evening. Unfortunately I was of no help to her.
    Have any of you guys ever heard of this happening?

2. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

I have not heard of this happenig. Are you sure it isn't an infection that could have taken place after the spay?

I assume the stitches have been out already after 2 weeks, I would definately get it checked out, make sure there is no internal bleeding.

I have heard of false pregnancy, but not this.

Anyone else?

3. GinaH

GinaH New Member

Yes IM quite sure she has already had her stitches removed. I saw her this morning and it really does look like she is in heat. It's so odd.
    My neighbor is taking Kuma in this afternoon to the vet so hopefully the mystery will be solved.

4. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

Let us know what happens. Poor girl. I know how depressed Harley got when she went into heat.

Even though she was really sick after surgery, I swear she just KNEW that it wouldn't happen again!

What a horrible falsness to have....

5. GinaH

GinaH New Member

Has anyone else heard of this?

6. Sara

Sara New Member

Sounds like an infection to me. Let us know.

7. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

I haven't seen any of the breeders pop on yet. Maybe one of them will know.

Jamiya

8. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi this can happen if the female was spayed just before she was due a heat cycle the hormones are still there and her body will automatically come into heat but this usually stops a couple of days later.

It has alos been known for a female that has been spayed to have a phantom pregnancy if there is a female in the area or in the household that is in heat this is unknown why this happens.

Providing the discharge is not green or black and does not have a foul smell to it all is still well.

A trip to the vets will put the owners mind at rest but like i say this is due to a heat cycle that was due.

mike

9. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Yay! I knew Mike would have the answer to this one! :)

*the rest of us stand around and scratch our heads*

Jamiya

10. GinaH

GinaH New Member

Mike you were right! My neighbor called and said Kuma was in fact having a false estrus cycle and that it can last for 5-10 days. He said that most likely Kuma was either beginning her estrus cycle or about to when she was spayed. So wow I learned something new! I didn't even know that was possible. The vet says otherwise Kuma is perfectly healthy and her incision is healing well.
    :eek: :eek: :eek:

11. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Glad to hear she is ok and is on the mend.
    I dont mean too sound funny but this has also been known to happen to some women that where due there menstrual cycle before they had the hystorectomy they can actually go ahead and have a cycle strange i know but its something to do with the hormone levels in the blood

mike