1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Sudden death to female

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by zarate, Nov 29, 2005.

1. zarate

zarate New Member

A friend of my mothers has birds and one of them was a female budgie. I don't know how long she's had it, but it was laying eggs. She layed eggs every other day until there were 4 then a week later she died. She was alone in her cage, no male present. This lady takes marvelous care of all her birds. We can't come up with why this poor gilr died. Anyone have any ideas?

2. drab911

drab911 New Member

I do not know too much about breeding..
    but how old was she?? and did she have a cuttlefish bone in here cage at all times? Because i know when they lay eggs it takes a lot of calcium and stuff.
    Sorry to hear about your loss!

3. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

I am sorry to hear of the loss.

Because she was laying daily she will have suffered from a calcium problem which will have resulted in her being egg bound and this has caused her death..... Over laying has put a strain on her body and it could not handle this so it has shut down.

Mike

4. zarate

zarate New Member

Ok, I heard my mom wrong. She was not in a cage by heself....she was in an indoor aviary. There was 1 other parakeet in there, and she doesn't know if it's male or female....she doesn't breed her birds and she had no nest boxes of any kind. She had cuttlebone and was fed a diet of seed, fruits and veggies. She's layed eggs before so this wasn't a first for her. But the night before she died, she stood at the bottom of the cage staring at the eggs like she was in a "zone" then the next morning I guess this lady found her dead. That's so sad because the parakeet belonged to this womans daughter (even tho the mother is the one that cared for and handled her)
    So you guys are thinking she was egg bound or had a calcium deficiency? That would be my guess as well since this woman really takes good care of all her animals. They even run a basset hound rescue at their home.
    Thanks for all your input, I wanted to find out to let this woman know so she's not wondering all the time what happened. Thanks again!
    -Mandi