1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Surviving cat

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by nancyfbrush, May 7, 2004.

1. nancyfbrush

nancyfbrush New Member

I have to put my 16 yr old Siamese cat Chatter down. Is there anything special I need to do for her 14 year old daughter K.C. to make the change easier? K.C. already seems to know Chatter is sick and has been staying away from her. I had heard it helps to show the surviving cat the body, but don't know if it makes any difference.

2. nern

nern New Member

I'm really sorry to hear about your cat. I'm not sure what you can do to help your other cat adjust to her loss but maybe another poster will have a suggestion for you.

3. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

I wouldn't show her the body...it's hard with Siamese cats cause they get so attached. I would just show the daughter a lot of love and attention for the next few days. Not sure I'd suggest adopting another meezer cause she'll know it's not Mom...just drown her with affection. Hopefully she'll perk up.

4. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

HI. I'm so sorry about your kitty. :( When my cat's two sisters passed away when they were just little kittens (long story short they were very, very ill and all the medical attention could not make them well), I did show the lifeless body to my cat and his sick sister and then again to my cat when his second sister passed away. I can't tell you for certain if it helped or not, but in my opinion it did. However, I have very little knowledge of Siamese cats, so perhaps Mary_NH is right. Again I am very sorry. :(

5. nancyfbrush

nancyfbrush New Member

Surving Cat

Thanks to everyone.

I had Chatter put down, wrapped her in a towel and brought her home in a box. K.C. went to the open box, took one sniff and walked away. What's interesting is that K.C. is happier now that her mom is gone. Having a sick cat around seems to have bothered her a great deal. We were so busy taking care of Chatter, we didn't realize that K.C.'s behavior was off until after it was all over.

6. vene

vene New Member

I'm sorry about your loss. Glad to hear that KC is doing better. I wonder if I should've shown Vene's body to her buddies and brother Milo last July after she died getting hit by a car. Monty Boy who is normally an indoor only cat managed to get out looking for her for 3 days. I think he was missing her and tried to track down her last whereabouts. Milo was depressed for several days and Pumpkin couldn't have cared less. Pumpkin just hated Vene from the start and was very happy when she never came home. I wonder if showing them the body would've prevented some trauma. At least they would've sensed her passing. I know cats are known to be very intuitive.

7. nancyfbrush

nancyfbrush New Member

Survivning Cat

K.C. didn't see Chatter's body since Chatter was wrapped in a towel. I guess she could tell from the smell that it was a dead Chatter under the towel.

The vet said K.C. would probably just take a sniff and walk away, and that is what happened. It was easier for me not to have to uncover Chatter so I was glad it worked out that way.

Thanks again to eveyone. It was very helpful just to have someone listen.

Good luck to you and love your kitties.