1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

switching fish in aquariums

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by tyler_medeiros, Oct 3, 2005.

1. tyler_medeiros

tyler_medeiros New Member

Ok so we have a 30 gallon and a 25 gallon. in the 25 gallon is our blood parrot. Since he is getting older he is needing more room. So we came up with the idea of switching the fish in the 30 gallon into the 25 and putting the blood parrot into the 30.

Do you thing that 1Gouriamis, 2 congo Tetras, 2 Blue Tetras, 4 Rummy Nosed tetras, 3 Silvertipped Tetras, 1 bloodfin tetra, and one male guppy could live in the 25 gallon. We calculated the total inches of fish and we came up with 25 gallons. There is also a penguin 330 on the 25 so its plent of filtration.

Also is there anything else we should do before we switch the fish.
    Should we go about it the same way as when introducing fish from the pet store.

Any help would be great.

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

They should be fine in the 25.

I'm actually getting ready to do some tank shuffling here in a few days as well.

Personally, I'd get the 30 read for the blood parrot first since it will be the most difficult to handle. Better to get it moved and done with first. Move the fish from the 30 into a bucket with and air stone, get the decor in the 30 set up for the parrot, move him over, set up the decor in the 25, and put the fish in.

As long as the water parameters in those tanks are close (they should be unless you're doing something to alter the pH, hardness, etc), you shouldn't really have to acclimate them.

-Chelle

3. tyler_medeiros

Should we put the penguin 330 on the 30 gallon and the 2 AC 150s on the 25? Or can we just leave them the same?

4. kc5gvn

kc5gvn New Member

Unless you are running a common filter (same filter for both tanks) I would acclimate them into the new tanks. Remember, everything in the aquarium is measured in PARTS PER MILLION. Better safe than sorry.

5. tyler_medeiros

ok the switch is complete and it looks great. We love it and both tanks look so much better and the fish seem happier. For know we left the 2 ac 150's on the 30 gallon and the penguin 330 on the 25. I will hopefully have pics posted by tomorrow.

6. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

LOL. Oddly enough, I just did my tank switch today as well.

Still have one more to do, but I won't be able to get to it for a couple days.

-Chelle

7. tyler_medeiros

So we usually take the pictures of our tanks with our cell phones but we bought a new camera today so the pictures will be up by tomorrow night saturday morning. Sorry for the delays,
    Tyler and Amanda