1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

swollen abdomen/ loss of appetite / no real bowel movement.

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by juliestroup, Oct 17, 2004.

1. juliestroup

juliestroup New Member

Hey everyone I have a question for you.

My parent have a schnauzer/poodle mix. She is 13yrs old and has recently been showing her age. Over the past week or so my mom and I have been noticing that she looks really fat. It seems strange because her belly seems really full, sort of like a balloon. She seems to not want to eat and her bowel movements are not as much as before.. She is taking her to the vet next week (probably monday), Does anyone know what else this could be? Could it be impacted bowels, or maybe a tumor? When she lays down her tummy sticks out on the sides like a horny toad or frog's. It just looks strange like she is full of fluid, or maybe poo.

2. 4Dogsihave

4Dogsihave New Member

The only thing I can think of off hand is maybe worms. Dont their stomachs get really round when they have alot of worms in it? I am not sure what else but hopefully a visit to the vet will clear things up. Please let us know!

3. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

It could be alot of things. Water retention for one thing, or worse a big tumor. Let us know when she gets the results. I don't think its bloat, usually but not always its in big dogs.

4. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

it could be lots of things... could be nothing... the first thing that came to my mind is an obstruction of some kind. A vet check should be Numero Uno right about now... :(

Keep us posted!! ((Big hugs))

5. juliestroup

juliestroup New Member

update.....

:( Just wanted to let everyone know what had happened. We took her to the vet and they ran tests and blood. It was not constipation, could have been either heart failure or a large mass (tumor) in the abdomen. She was 15 and had heart trouble and difficult breathing, so was a high high risk for surgery, vet said she was so thin and the mass was large. After a hard time we decided to have her put down. My parents were very sad and me too, the dog was 15 yrs old. I just cant believe she is gone.

6. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

Oh Julie, I'm so sorry that there was nothing that your vet could do for the poor thing. In your heart you know it was best to end his suffering. (((HUGS)))

7. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

:cry: oh, i'm so very sorry, julie...... big hugs from all of us at auspet. :m35:

8. juliestroup

juliestroup New Member

thannks to all

Thanks for caring, I am feeling a little better today. I am thinking of buying a marker for her grave and giving it to mom and dad. I think that they would like that. It is really hard to let go, I still have my pek a poo but I do feel that they will get another dog sometime.

Julie

9. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

Some wait a long time before getting another, others get one right away. When they are ready. Personally I'd be the right away type. When they are ready, be ready to them look. I think a marker would be a nice idea.