1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Taming a young lovebird

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by zarate, Oct 7, 2005.

1. zarate

zarate New Member

My mom loves birds as much as I do, and while we were at the bird show...she fell in love with this beatiful lovebird. We see this guy everytime we go and his birds are always so mellow. He says he won't breed a nasty bird because that trait passes down the line. So my mom decided to get a lovebird since she raises canaries as a hobby, and can't handle them. He clipped his feathers and said he'll fly ouf of your hand about 2 times, then realize he can't fly and he shouldn't try that again. Well, he started out not biting, but now the more they handle him it seems the more he's starting to bite? We're not sure of an exact age, but he's a 2005 baby. He's (I don't know how he knows it's male...but that's what we were told)
    My nephew however can get him to sit on his shoulder for quite some time. She just got him on Sunday, so this will be the 4th full day she's had him. Is there any suggestions anyone might have? I know he's trainable and my mom is retired, so she's got the time to work with him....we just want to know how! Thanks!
    -mandi

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Use the same training methods you would for any other bird.

When he bites do not put him down as he will learn oooh if i bite they will put me down so will do this all the time.

Birds use there beaks not just for eating, But to taste your skin and to help them climb up onto perches hands and things.

Most birds will nibble your hand and may even give a sharp nip just to see how you react if no reaction is given they learn biting does nothing.

Give him a few more days and he should sort himself its just the transition period so his mood will change.

Mike