1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Tank requirements for African cichlids

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by dbltrubl98, Dec 9, 2005.

1. dbltrubl98

dbltrubl98 New Member

I was wondering if it would be possible to keep 2-3 Kenyi and 2-3 bumble bee cichlids in a 30 gal tank. Or maybe just one species?

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

30 gallons is pretty small for those kinds of africans. I honestly wouldn't put either kenyi or bumblebee's in a 30. If I were to keep africans in a 30, it would be either shell dwellers or maybe some yellow labs (preferrably 1 m/3 - 4 females but they're pretty much impossible to sex when young)

-Chelle

3. dbltrubl98

dbltrubl98 New Member

I just got a 55 gal acrilic tank today for free :eek: I can't wait to set it up but unfortunatly it will go where the Cristmas tree is now so it will have to wait a couple of weeks, it comes with a wet/dry filter. I was wondering what that means. Thanks for the help.

4. dbltrubl98

dbltrubl98 New Member

also I was wondering if I could get a complete list of everything I will need because I want to know if the lps is just trying to sell me stuff...
    Here's what I know I will need.I am planning on getting 12-14 fish:
    3-4 Kenyi
    3-4 Electric Yellow
    3-4 Bumblebee

I know I will need 1 male and then 2-3 females of each to reduce fighting and some hiding spots to reduce aggresion.

250-300watt heater
    Gravel- ?? pounds
    decorations
    airstones?
    filter- not sure if the one it comes with will work and/or if I should get a better one.
    Water test kit

5. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I've never actually had a wet/dry filter so I'm not overly familiar with how they work. I do know that they are considered one of the best forms of filtration, but I'll have to let someone else go into specifics.

As far as stocking, I'd be a little worried about the yellow labs. They're not nearly as aggressive as the kenyi & bumblebees.

Heater sounds good.

Gravel - you could probably get away with around 40lbs. That should give you somewhere around 1" - 1 1/2" deep.

Decorations - lots of caves. Preferrably at least 1 cave/fish. If you're stacking rocks, make sure that they are very stable. You could maybe silicon them together in groups of about 3 (depending on the size of the rocks) then arrange them in the tank.

Airstone - as long as the filter aggitates the surface and the fish aren't gasping, you don't really need an air stone, but they do look kind of nice. I like mine set up so the bubbles bounce off the rocks making the caves.

Test kit - you'll need at least ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAte. pH, KH, and GH are also nice to have.

I highly recommend you do the fishless method to cycle the tank. That way there's pretty much no risk of losing fish initially.
    http://flippersandfins.net/Cycling.htm

-Chelle

6. dbltrubl98

dbltrubl98 New Member

what would be a good tankmate for Kenyi and bumblebee cichlids?

7. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Maybe some red zebras (might have problems with hybridizing, though). Or maybe Melanochromis johanni.

-Chelle