1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Tank size for fully grown Oscar

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by DUCKLE-BUM, Jan 20, 2005.

1. DUCKLE-BUM

DUCKLE-BUM New Member

Just a quick question, to house one fully grown oscar, what is the minimum size tank I should have?

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

The bare minimum in terms of bioload is 50 gallons. However, oscars can easily reach 12" - 14" (not including their tails). Standard 55 gallon tanks are only 12" wide so as you can imagine, that would be a bit cramped. Because of that a 75 gallon (18" wide) would be even nicer. Plus, it would allow you to add a tankmate or two.

-Chelle

3. DUCKLE-BUM

DUCKLE-BUM New Member

That's cool as I am purchasing a 150gl tank, which should keep him and his friends happy. Thanks for the advice Chel :y_the_best:

4. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

yup, a 150 gallon would definatly keep him happy....what other fisha re with him?

5. DUCKLE-BUM

DUCKLE-BUM New Member

He's with a pim pictus catfish, a ropefish, a large pleco and a tiger barb.

6. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Just so you know, the ropefish and tiger may eventually get eaten. And provide lots of places for the pictus to hide because they're borderline large enough for an adult oscar to eat (if they grow up together it may be okay).

But in terms of number of fish/bioload, it sounds good.

-Chelle

7. DUCKLE-BUM

DUCKLE-BUM New Member

Yeah, I am aware that Oscar may eventually eat the other guys. At the moment the ropefish is considerably larger and kinda freaks him out. The catfish does have a large and varied places to seek safe refuge from the O. I am surprised that the tiger barb has lasted so long, but he has grown very large on a diet of Hikari pelets (he follows my O around at feeding time and picks up whatever comes out of his mouth). Kinda cute having a rather plump barb pretending to be an Oscar (he even comes to the front of the tank and copies my oscar's "oh, I'm hungry" dance. :D

Fortunately my brother has a large community tank and as my O has grown, potential Oscar fodder have found asylum with him :)

8. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Sounds good! :y_the_best:

-Chelle

9. Nameless

Nameless New Member

Yah! Ropefish Rule! Lol!