1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Temperature---- help!!

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by bloodpain, Jun 15, 2004.

1. bloodpain

bloodpain New Member

sorry to trouble u guys again.. My 20g aquarium's temperature is about 31C.. its too hot for my fishes i guess.. and my plants.. can anyone teach me how to lower the temperature down? i dun want to spend money on cooling fan or even chillers.. i live in singapore.. hot all year rnd.. perhaps thats the reason.. too hot.. some of my plants have already shed leaves.. and 1 of my cherry barbs have been restless.. is this because of the temperature?Anyway.. can anyone teach me some practical ways to make the temperature cooler to around 25-26C?

2. 3_second_memory

3_second_memory New Member

can you not turn the heater down so it is working beloow 77degrees but the sun heats it to the correct temp, or exchange the water for cold water, each day a little bit?

or float ice in the tank and hope the fisheys dont get their lips stuck to it?

3. bloodpain

bloodpain New Member

i dun use heater in my aquarium.. its hot enough... but i wants to lower the temperature.

4. RTBShark(II)

RTBShark(II) New Member

Hmmmmmm, 31 degrees C. What fish do you keep? In summer, my community tank gets hotter than this (gulp) but I quickly cool it down by placing bottles of ice on the gravel; they melt eventually but they usually last all day. They lower the temp to around 28 C but i cannot see this being practical in your situation. Make sure the tank is situated out of direct sunlight, and keep windows open and curtains/blinds down to minimise the amount of heat. Do u think this will work in Singapore? Also, about your restless fishies; make sure they do not start gulping at the surface of the water. With water at this temparature your water must be seriously oxygen depleated. My advice is to add an extra couple of airstones/areators to make sure that the water is full of oxygen. Remember it is not the bubbles from airpumps that make the oxygen diffuse in the water, it is the turbulence they create. Plus, whenever you do water changes, do them with cool water.

5. bloodpain

bloodpain New Member

i keep tetras, rainbowfish, rasboras, etc.. i tried using bags with ice but that doesn't seem to help.. is there any ways without using aeration? i want to create a natural enviorment for my fishes

6. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Other than chillers, ice, or adding cooler water, I don't think there's much else you can do. You are leaving the tank light off, right? Those put out quite a bit of heat.

Also, if your temperature is that high, you really should have some aeration. The higher the temperature, the less oxygen there is in the water so the more difficult it is for the fish to breath.

-Chelle

7. tina1

tina1 New Member

It gets quite hot here in the summer and I've had success keeping the tanks' temps down by turning off the lights in the hottest part of the day, propping open the lid just a bit to allow air to circulate and by placing a small household fan next to the tank to keep the air blowing on it. I also moved my smallest (and hottest) tank into a dark corner in the coolest room in the house.

This has helped get my temps down from around 88 degrees to 84, so still not perfect but at least I haven't lost any more fishes!

8. Obelix

Obelix New Member

Hey,

I live in Washington D.C (USA) and though it doesnt get nearly as hot here as it does in alot of other places my room is in the top floor so what I did for my 2.5 gallon betta tank was move it into the dinning room on the first floor which has made a world of differnce, also what ive done for my 5 gallon is filling sealed bags with very cold water, not ice since im worried that the top of the tank will get 2 cold but very cold water and that has got my thur the hotter parts of the day, as other people have said, turning your light off can help alot. Good Luck!

9. bill_lumbergh

bill_lumbergh New Member

Whoa. You only used one period that entire post!
    :shock:

=D

I cool/heat my tank by controlling the air conditioning. Too hot? Close the window and let the AC fill my room. Too cold? Cover the vents and open the window!

Though in the winter I'll need a heater, probably.

10. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

get an ice tray, fill it with water from your fishtank freeze the water add the ice.

11. bloodpain

bloodpain New Member

ok i listen to you people's advice.