1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

temperment testing

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by honeybears, Jun 9, 2004.

1. honeybears

honeybears New Member

2. GinaH

GinaH New Member

It just goes to show you what a lot of love and a little work can accomplish!

3. honeybears

honeybears New Member

isnt it! exept I found the part abuot he has to let them put their hand in the food bowl. I thought most dogs wont allow you to do that and Jake and Wyly were abbynormal. they even let the cat come and eat while they are at it.

honeybear

4. 2pyrs

2pyrs New Member

I take all my pups when we first get them and put there food in the bowl and feed them from it by hand, I add little treats to there food as they eat. We also teach them to sit and stay when putting there food down, making them wait till we tell them it is ok to get it. I can drop a chicken bone on the floor and tell them no touch or drop it. I have found this of us when we are in the general public and they pick something up that they should not have. I thought this was a norm that everyone does.

2pyrs

5. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

I always make sure I can put my hand in the dogs' food bowls while they are eating. And I always make sure my kids know they are NEVER to do that with ANY other dog!! (Of course, the dogs don't have food bowls now, but same idea...)

I am working on the "leave it" and "drop it" things. Someday we will have that mastered.

Jamiya

6. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

Honestly I never really knew about food agression before. Never really noticed with my other dogs before, and I guess didn't realy pay attention to that part.

When we got Harley, she wouldn't eat her food at first. I think she missed her old pals (she used to live with 2 dogs, go figure) and she used to eat really cheap food, so the healthy stuff really turned her off. For the next week and a half I fed her her kibble everyday out of my hand. She would not eat any other way. After discovering her abusive past, I was glad I did this with her. I think it really helped her build trust in us a lot faster.

7. 2pyrs

2pyrs New Member

Didn't your mother teach you the way to a mans heart is a good meal ? I would bite someone who would even think about steeling my food, but never the hand that feeds me.
    2pyrs

8. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Although Nala and Bonnie are both pretty submissive dogs, I think they WOULD fight over food. Nala is a pig. She hoards everything. If I give them two nylabones to chew on, she wants BOTH. We did have one fight over a stuffed Kong.

Just to be safe, I have always separated them while feeding them. Now I know for sure that I need to. Or rather, I need to at least tie Nala, and then give Bonnie her food a good distance away. Bonnie will just stand wherever you put her and eat and then wait at the door for me to come back.

But still, I usually have them both on tie outs in their favorite eating places, just to be safe.

Jamiya