1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

The different tastes of humans and Oscars

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by DUCKLE-BUM, Jan 21, 2005.

1. DUCKLE-BUM

DUCKLE-BUM New Member

Hi Y'all,

My Oscar and I seem to having a little disagreement with the decor within MY fish tank. I would like to have real plants growing and my O doesn't like this so he proceeds to destroy every living green thing in the tank. I have found certain plants last alot longer than others, but in the end he wins. :x

Has anybody out there managed to keep O and plants in harmony? :?

2. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

i to have the same problem right now i a trying java moss seems to be working ok

3. erin

erin New Member

awww ... :cry: the lil guys probably are thinking ohh no more plants LOL

4. GodsChld

GodsChld New Member

oscars do not like live plants

the truth of the matter is that oscars will dig up ANYTHING.....live plants are not good to have becuase the oscars will continue to dig them up....i have artificial and my oscar digs two or three of them every couple days.....

my advice is go artificial in that tank! GL and if you find out a secret to stopping them let us all know!!!

5. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Yup, that's typical oscar behavior. Mine did really great with plants up until they where about 6". Then one night they declared war and destroyed all my plants. Now I just use fake ones attached to driftwood and rocks with plastic zip ties. Sherbert loves attacking one specific plant, but it's not going anywhere. It's actually looking pretty ratty but it entertains her so I'm leaving it in the tank.

-Chelle

6. M_wm

M_wm New Member

My Jack Dempseys do the same thing. I had tons of fake plants and i had one live plant and he managed to find it and chew it up nicely

7. DUCKLE-BUM

DUCKLE-BUM New Member

Thanks for all your advice. I have been using a suttle blend of plastic and real plants in order to confuse my O, but he destroys them all regardless.
    It is amusing watching my O carry round bits of plants like a dog with a bone, but I am adamant that I want real plants. I do have some plants that have lasted but that is only because they are much bigger than him, and he does have smaller plants to deal with first! :roll: