1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

The doggy flu?? A very concerned pet owner seeks help!

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by Leleanne, Jun 11, 2005.

1. Leleanne

Leleanne New Member

My 2 year old Lhasa/Shi tzu mix has been pooping and throwing up since earlier this morning. He woke us up around 3am because he pooped all over the room. Then he woke us up again because he was throwing up (and it was a lot for the little guy) all over the bedroom. My husband took him for a walk and he threw up three more times. THis morning I took him out and when I came in he was shaking and wouldn't move. I went to tell my husband that I was worried and when I came back, he had pooped all over the carpet. It was runny and everywhere. Now he is just laying in my husbands lap not moving very much. He wagged his tail when the maintenance guy came but that was all.

We just moved to Oklahoma from Phoenix. The dogs are used to a big backyard and we now live in an apartment. The apartment is plenty big for them and the patio is big as well. We take them out every few hours or so and both of them are house broken. Owen (his name) is usually the most obedient dog. He's obviously very sick. Should I take him to the vet or wait it out and see if he gets better? My husband thinks he must have ate something and that the vet will just say the same.

I am just very worried. My parents dog did the same thing and died two hours later. I know dogs do this but I am just very worried about Owen. He is like my child. Any advice would be appreciated!

2. Weeble

Weeble New Member

If he can't keep anything down I would definitely take him to the vet immediately because he must be very dehydrated, which could kill him even if whatever illness he may have doesn't. If you decide to wait it out you very well may end up having to take him to the emergency vet tonight or over the weekend. Better to take him to a vet during regular office hours, get him relief faster and save yourself the emergency fees.

3. Leleanne

Leleanne New Member

Thank you Weeble. We made an appointment for ASAP at 4:00 today. He hasn't thrown up since this morning so we think he is a little bit better. We have been trying to get him to drink but he wouldn't so we took a straw and put a little in his mouth. Hopefully that will help if he is dehydrated. He has just been resting in my husbands lap all day.

I hope we can figure this out. I would be heart broken if something was wrong or if he died!

4. Weeble

Weeble New Member

How's Owen doing today?

5. Leleanne

Leleanne New Member

MUCH better. We ended up canceling the vet appointment because he got better. The local vet said there is a virus going around among neighborhood dogs. So, luckily he is back to normal!

6. Leleanne

Leleanne New Member

Oh, and thank you for asking. =) I was panicked there for awhile but he is running around and happy again.

7. Weeble

Weeble New Member

Glad to hear it!

8. coppersmom

coppersmom New Member

I don't know Leleanne. If that was my baby, I would still take him to the vet. NONE of that sounded normal to me.

9. Leleanne

Leleanne New Member

Well, I called the vet and they told me that if he was fine now and drinking enough water that he is okay and that I didn't need to bring him in. He's been playful and back to his old self since Saturday. He's all current on his shots and exams so maybe it was just the virus? I don't know. All I know is that I am glad he is okay.