1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

The FURminator . .

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by eman, Jan 23, 2007.

1. eman

eman New Member

it is a deshedding tool for cats and dogs. i have been reading about it for a while and had to give it a try. i bought it this morning at petsmart and i was amazed!
    i am not sure if i am allawed to put the company's website here but u can search for it.
    this brush, if used correctly it pulls out the dead undercoat, leaving a healthy shiny topcoat. it is also supposed to reduce shedding up to 90%

i tried it on Max and Mini and sooooooooooooooo much fur came out. it is unbelievable. because so much hair came out it was a little messy so i had to go outside and finish brushing. now Max and Mini feel so soft (feels like a bunny!) and their coat is shiny. plus unlike the zoom groom it doesnt make the coat staticky cuz it has a metal blade.
    anyone else tried it?

2. vene

vene New Member

No, we haven't tried it but was just debating whether or not to purchase it 2 days ago. I'm not sure how our cats will react to the metal blade. Did Max and Mini not object at all to being groomed? If it works that well, it will be the next prezzie for our furbabies! :mrgreen: :eek:

3. eman

eman New Member

like i said..if it is used correctly..it shouldnt bother them. i didnt read the instructions at first and tried it on Max, he wasnt very happy. i was pressing too hard. then i read that you are supposed to do gentle strokes across the coat. he was ok after that and let me finish. Mini was fine too. they didnt love it..but they didnt hate it either.. plus i bought it at petsmart even though i could have found it cheaper online but i wanted to be able to returned if it didnt work out with my cats..
    and about the metal blade, it is not supposed to touch their skin..only the coat i guess..

4. Bente

Bente New Member

Wow! i did a search, and it looks amazing :shock: I HAVE to get one of those for Kyrre :D
    Max' long fur wasn't a problem, was it?

5. Chezza

Chezza New Member

WOW..I watched a video on it..Check this out..The kitty did not seem to mind..

Click on the link then click on the cat picc for the video..

I want one lol..Can you get them in Australia.????

http://www.furminator.com/testbed/indexnew.html :eek:

6. vene

vene New Member

They come in different sizes. Which size will be best for our cats?

For those who live outside the US, check out ebay. Those prices are comparable to Petsmart's and some will sell overseas.

7. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

I got something similar to that for my dog (shed ender I think it's called) and it scares her :roll:
    haven't tried it on the cats though...Dixie would probably love it.
    Now I gotta go home tonight and try it on her.

8. vene

vene New Member

I'd love to know how well the shedender works too! :mrgreen:

9. sunset05

sunset05 New Member

It is very interesting looking. I looked at the video demonstration and there was sure a lot of hair coming off the kitty. I don't know if my kitties would like it or not.

I'd be curious how well it works on other kitties, too, although you did say your kitties do will with it eman. Hmmmm. Something to think about. :)

10. tuttifrutti

tuttifrutti New Member

I've thought about it, but stayed away from the high price tag. Gracie isn't that much of a shedder, and my dogs are outdoor so their hair doesn't bother me. The yard men use their blower on the patio to get rid of the loose grass, and their hair goes too.

11. Bente

Bente New Member

I ordered a small one for Kyrre, can't wait to try it! :D

12. Chezza

Chezza New Member

Cool let us know how it goes Bente..Cant wait to hear.. :eek:

13. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

We were looking at those a while back and figured that they look a lot like flea combs. So we picked up a cheap flea comb for a couple bucks at Walmart and it works really well.

-Chelle

14. Bente

Bente New Member

Ops, I forgot to update you on the furminator :)

It's really effective, but it's kinda hard to use on Kyrre, since he only wants to be brushed while he is in his bed. The zoomgroom Vene gave us is still my favourite, but I found that they work really well together: First the furminator, then the zoomgroom :D

15. vene

vene New Member

Thanks Bente, you are too sweet! :eek: I did get the Furminator and my cats love it! Rene fights with Monty Boy to be the first in line to be groomed. Even Milo doesn't mind the grooming and he hated the Zoom Groom. I can't believe how much more fur I can get out of it than the Zoom Groom! :shock: We love the Furminator! :D

16. sunset05

sunset05 New Member

I got the Furminator, too, but I have mixed feelings about.

It works okay but is a little messy with fur flying around. Mittens likes it but Socks hasn't made up her mind yet. :mrgreen:

They say it gets out the undercoat but looking at the blades I can't figure out how it would do that. I almost looks like it cuts the fur. Do any of your kitties look uneven after you use it?

Sooo, I guess I'm in the minority. I think I like using a regular comb better. I'll give it more of a chance, though. Maybe it will grow on me.