1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

THE OLD SEXING OSCARS QUESTION

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by DUCKLE-BUM, Mar 12, 2005.

1. DUCKLE-BUM

DUCKLE-BUM New Member

Hi y'all,

I know this question has come up before and nearly everyone says that you can't sex them by sight alone. However I remember hearing something about sexing them by checking their 'little private holes' after they have been well fed. If the front hole is smaller it's a boy/girl, if they are of equal size, it's a boy/girl. Can anyone help me?

Many thanks :)

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Some people don't believe venting is a reliable method of sexing oscars (I've gotten into a huge discussion about it before on another forum). Personally, I think it's valid and I've talked to someone who breeds oscars and he swears by venting. That said, it's not always easy especially to someone who has never vented fish before and it is nearly impossible when the oscars are less than 4". Plus, sometimes the only way to get a good look is to remove the fish from the water which isn't always easy and can damage the fish's slime coat.

But when my oscars where around 6" I found that I could get them to swim towards the top of the tank so that I got a very good look at their undersides and I was able to vent them w/o removing them from the tank.

This is a female (oO)
    [​IMG]

And this is a male (oo)
    [​IMG]

Pretty much the only other way to sex them (short of dissection) is to look at their breeding tubes when they're actually spawning. The male's will be pointed (V) and the female's will be blunt (U). And obviously the one laying the eggs will be female, but that doesn't necessarily mean the other one is male. Sometimes two females will go through the spawning ritual. Only after you get fertilized eggs is it safe to say the other one is male.

-Chelle

3. M_wm

M_wm New Member

I cant tell the diffrence in those pics what am i looking for?

4. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

In the female (1st pic), the back hole is larger than the front one (oO). In the male (2nd pic) both holes are really close to the same size (oo).

-Chelle

5. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

that way to vent is pretty difficult to do in my experience.

6. M_wm

M_wm New Member

Ah now i see thanks for pointin it out

7. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I'll agree, it's not easy. I've vented tons of african cichlids and it's a heck of a lot easier to vent them correctly than oscars. But I still believe it's possible with oscars, just not easy since the size difference isn't as noticeable as it is with africans.

-Chelle

8. tski22

tski22 New Member

Is it possible in central american chiclids such as firemouths? -tl

9. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

yes, you can use that way in CA cichlids as well

10. M_wm

M_wm New Member

Just thought i would point outt i tried this and i found out my oscar is a female. After chasing it around the tank it gave up and let me hold it upside down while i sat there and looked at it :lol: