1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Thinking to breed ?

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by dude412, May 8, 2005.

1. dude412

dude412 New Member

Im thinking about breeding a species of fish but im not sure of which i should like goldfish bettas guppies corie cats? could you help what fish you think id do best with

2. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

what size tank are we talking about?

3. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

What do you plan on doing with the fry?

I can tell you right now that goldfish are difficult to breed in an aquarium. They're a lot more likely to breed in a large pond. Breeding bettas is complicated and difficult plus it requires TONS of space since you'll eventually have to separate all the males into 1/2 gallon cups once they start to mature. You could easily end up with a hundred cups needing daily water changes. Guppies are almost too easy to breed and most LFS's won't take them, let alone pay you for them. And I think cories are moderately difficult to breed. Mine have never bred, but I know a couple who have successfully bred some.

-Chelle

4. nick_no_11

nick_no_11 New Member

i think you should go with swordfish they r prety easy and do prety good but i dont know if you could get anything for them i bred them and gave the babys to my cus and they died on her i think she forgot to feed them or gave them wronge kind of food

5. Nameless

Nameless New Member

I have actually seen a lot of people successfully breed cories, I think it might depend on the species, but you can try.

6. DUCKLE-BUM

DUCKLE-BUM New Member

I would opt for a smaller species of fish. Purely because if you breed something like Oscars, you are going to end up with a lot of fish that all require alot of space. So when you sell them on or give them away, the chances of all of them finding responsible owners that will make sure they have a large enough tank is remote.
    I have seen far too many Oscars and other large fish being kept in tanks that are simply too small for them.....not nice :(