1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

THREE GOLDFISH 1 TANK NO FILTER NO FOOD

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by TheShyster, Apr 12, 2005.

1. TheShyster

TheShyster New Member

I am new to this website so I am really reling on you all and I need help. I have 3 baby goldfish and I have a :?: gallon tank not a filter! what should I feed them while I have no fish food for them?!?!?! I need all the help I can get!!!

2. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

what are the measurements of the tank well be able to tell you how many gallon its is you need to get to the lfs and buy some goldfish food and as for the filter you will need one goldfish can get BIG 8 inches + so each goldfish you have will need at least 30 gallon.

3. daisy0802

daisy0802 New Member

I have one calico fantail and he is in a 3.5 gallon. I've had him for a year and he hasn't grown much at all. If mine lives a long time (they can live 15 + years :shock: ) I'm going to get a bigger tank as he grows. You can start out with a 10 gallon I would say. And if you have them for a long time, and they grow a lot, you'll have to get a bigger tank. :y_the_best: hope this helps.

4. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

5. daisy0802

daisy0802 New Member

go to a local petstore (Feeder's Supply or Petsmart would be nice) and get a filter (biowheels are nice but are pricey.) Do research and find the best filter for your tank. (undergravel filters could work too.) AND BUY GOLDFISH FOOD! They can eat veggies such as cucumber until you can get it though. (which you should do ASAP!) Pellets are great, (Callie gets those, my goldfish) They are made by Wardley and called Premium mini. But flakes will do if you don't want to pay 5 bucks for food, which does last a while though. TetraMin is the best flake food in my opinion. It doesn't cloud the water easily like some. Good luck! :y_the_best:

6. daisy0802

daisy0802 New Member

I've read books from the library and internet. He has plenty of room I might add. But you're right, I should get a bigger one. When I got him they said it was fine (Pet supplies plus employees) the tank I mean. And I didn't think he would live long at all. But he did :mrgreen:

7. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

8. TheShyster

TheShyster New Member

Thanks You All It Helped!!

Thank every one that helped alot :y_the_best: i had my mom go to a pet store and then get some advice too so ecery thing that you said was a big help!!! :!: :eek:

9. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

So what size is the tank are they in now and what filter do you have on it? Do you have test kits for ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAte? If so, what are those readings? What kind of goldfish are they (do they have really round bodies, or longer, more slender bodies)? How big are they right now?

-Chelle

10. M_wm

M_wm New Member

It wont grow. Anymore its in a 3.5 gallon tank! I wouldnt even keep guppies in a 3.5g never mind a goldfish :roll:

11. daisy0802

daisy0802 New Member

why would a tiny goldfish need a 30 gallon? what's the point of that? It's not as small as you think (the tank) it's 13" by 11" Nobody has ever told me that they need something as large as that.

12. daisy0802

daisy0802 New Member

besides, they're only supposed to get UP TO 4" long. (it also says that in that first link you might notice) I should get a bigger tank, but why would I need anything over 5 gallons if he only gets 4" long? (like they say 1" of fish for every gallon) :| I'm certainly not OBSESSED with fish like some.

13. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

its because of the fish's bioload would you pu a ten inch oscar or a ten inch jd in a ten gallon tank because of that rule i hope not

14. daisy0802

daisy0802 New Member

well I can understand that, but ~30~ gallons? seems a bit much. plus fantails only get up to 4". How do you think a 10 gallon would do? (saying that he'll get 4")

15. :o)rosie:o)

:o)rosie:o) New Member

Goldfish are very messy fish. If you plan to upgrade to a bigger tank (hopefully) dont go for a ten, its a much better idea to put him/her in a 30+ tank. Let us know what you get!

16. Shineillusion

Shineillusion New Member

I'm not obsessed about fish either. But keeping your gold fish in a 10 gallon tank would be sort of like you living in your bathroom for the rest of your life. You could probably live there, but you wouldn't be very happy or healthy.

Gold fish need a lot of oxygen. The surface area of your tank is more important then the number of gallons it holds. Gold fish are also heavier bodied than many other species, and that also affects how much area they need. They also need exercise. Swim, swim, stop, turn, swim, swim isn't much exercise.

17. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Goldfish are large, messy fish and they actually get closer to 6" than 4" (I have some fantails in my pond that are only a year old and are almost 4" already). The 1" rule does not apply to goldfish because they have large, wide, round bodies and produce a lot of waste. You have to have a lot of water to dillute that waste if you don't want to be doing water changes every other day.

-Chelle